** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

MkIV has a suction tube down from the  top of the tank,  

So a thought,   

when you shut down the head of fuel in the  dip  tube drops and syphon's  it all back to the tank

The only thing to  stop it is pump valve and if the float needle is closed     if no air is let in it wont run back .

But if fuel has not evaporated from the float chamber , it should start on whats in there.

Pete

• Like 1

The  valve in the pump is the main controller in any thoughts that it is drain back 

Tap  good idea untill it wont  start because you forgot to turn it back  to  ON !!!! 

Do make sure the tank vent is working .so there  is not a vacuum in the tank

Pete

Pete - I now see it like you. The fuel evapoates/drains from the float chambers, float valves open, air gets into the system so fuel syphons back to tank. I'm sure the tank vent us clear as there was no vacuum when I filled up yesterday. Not sure if there is a correlation between the level of fuel in the tank (it was holding 2 gallons, so quite low) and the amount of run back. I will get a fuel tap for when the  car is not to be run for a few weeks. Is this something other members has found and why is the fuel draining/evaporating from the carbs, is this normal?

That sounds perfectly normal although the drain back on the engine side should only reach the same point in the fuel line as the level in the tank. It happens because the carb float chamber has a vent to atmosphere through the air filter which allows air out when filling the chamber plus overflow if the float valve doesnt close properly.  I dont think a tap in the line is necessary as if the non return valves in the fuel pump are good it should quickly refill the carbs but its true a higher level in the tank will help....

+1 to that (pump valves). My GT6 is still off-road and only starts up to move out of the garage, when I need the space, and then back in, and it starts first time every time without excessive cranking.

I rebuilt my pump, a glass-topped Delco, with a complete kit including valves, seals and filters and it's always got fuel in it. I think I fitted one of those as it reminds me of the petrol pumps I saw as a child, with the clear glass bit on the side so that you could see the fuel pumping. Some of them used to have a little spinner inside and it was fascinating.

Colin - I vaguely remember those pumps

Johny - I think the non-return valve on my fuel pump must be shot. Doubt if I can repair it. Never realised til now that it had one. Failing that, for the cost, a small cut off tap between the filters looks to be the best bet or maybe one of these..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inline-One-way-Non-return-Check-Valve-Fuel-Gas-Air-Vacuum-Aluminum-6-8-10-12mm/163664093802?hash=item261b23e26a:m:m2HtjcUbjnMtQ6YrmRmd_6g&var=463120832013

I will keep an eye on the situation while the tank is full. Like so many things, I am probably more aware of problems now than I was when the car was running 20 (odd) years ago.

theres two in each mechanical pump, both of which have to seal well and they come in the repair kits but are a bit fiddly to change. You can test them individually by removing the pump filter cover then blowing back through the outlet pipe and next sucking on the inlet. In neither case should air flow but I bet in yours as in mine it will so the easiest option for me was a replacement pump which has worked perfectly although Ive seen recent posts complaining that some produce too much pressure.....

here we go sucking an blowing   just dont get Doug involved with inlets and outlets  or we drift wildly

we converted a glass top from a vauxhall cheap to repair a worn old orig glass top ,,  swapped the arms over

i like them you can see whats going on

Pete

Pete

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

Paddock ones are decent make and seem to last as well :) 

Tony.

Tony - Thanks for the endorsement on that. I'm going to put either the service kit or a new one on my parts list. As long as it does the summer, I can take my time over the winter when its too cold to do the paintwork. so much of this has been new to me and I would (as normal) not have been able to sort it out without everyone's input.

She is now ticking over and revving up nicely in the garage and I will see what happens on Saturday when I next go out. Will try the Italian tune up for the backfire then. I finally remembered the problem which caused the last backfire problems, the choke wasn't coming off at the carb when pushed in.  Lubricated all the linkages and will see if that sorts it.

Now, as long as she keeps starting/running, back to the plot.  Fuse box next, along with that bl**dy leaf spring farce.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

we converted a glass top from a vauxhall cheap to repair a worn old orig glass top ,,  swapped the arms over

Have some great NOS Delco pumps with incorrect arms from eBay, I'll do the same when I need to use one on a Triumph.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

here we go sucking an blowing   just dont get Doug involved with inlets and outlets  or we drift wildly

Do you suck the inlet and blow the outlet, or is it the other way round?

Thanks Mark. Can you explain tri-rated please. I am looking to get some lengths of cable to match the existing colours for when I do the fuse box. Especially for extra bits like a cigarette lighter socket, so I can identify in time to come.

Thanks Clive - Got the fuse box from them through fleabay, never though to look at their other stuff (doh!!).

Thanks everyone.  I noticed when fitting my headlight relays that the original earth (black) wire was a little thinner than the two feed wires. Earth = approx 2mm, feeds approx 2.5mm overall dia. Is there a technical reason for this and is there any point/advantage in replacing the earth with a thicker wire, while I am messing about with this?  I am looking at using 2mm wire in everything that I upgrade, is this just overkill and, on the whole, would 1mm be as good. I can handle a soldering iron, but when it comes down to V=IR etc and working out loading, cable thickness, power requirements etc, not so good!!