** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

Still not sorted 'rent a (small) crowd', but for the time being, I'm having a look at the front carb of the 2 x hs2 units on the herald 13/60 in my Spit. 

I mentioned this quite a long time ago but now think I should address the problem. The front carb after being on choke, will not release. The linkage works fine, but the jet will not return without being given a firm push from underneath, when it gives a loud-ish click and goes up. The choke linkage to the front carb is therefore disconnected, which leads to some excellent kangaroo impressions until the engine warms up, when all is well. I have read up on this (Haynes carb book and SU web pages) and spoken to people who say something like .. its a simple device just strip it down, clean it up and reassemble. Ok, but that scares the s**t out of me in case I get it wrong, which, as regular readers to this thread know, I'm very good at!! The carbs were set up by a decent garage about 12 months ago but they said they didnt want to play with the front/choke as it would not be cost effective time/money wise!! So, is the needle catching and need centering, is it bent and need replacing or what. All you 'engineers' out there will be saying "simples" but not me!! As usual, any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. The jets were replaced some 30 years ago as part of the original restoration and probably need doing again... the thought sends colds shivers.. etc etc!!

Probably the most common reason for an SU choke to stick on is that the bit of bent metal that pushes it down isn't quite the right shape and ends up pushing it sideways, so it jams. If you look very closely at the jet while operating the choke, you might be able to see that, and if you're Pete you can work out which way to bend the linkage so that it slides freely.

Dont bring me onto it I have avid hate of anything SU and there is two of  the  ruddy  things on my 2000

Trouble is  with a wing wham of bits and peices levers springs and all thing orrible 

Which way to bend is a good question

You do need to look while operating and see/feel whats locking up then a bit of tweeking 

Pete

So, it's not just me who has a fear of the things.  Will try manually playing with the lever thingies to try to find what is sticking. I just assumed that it was something inside. Never thought to look at the levers and things. It does appear, at first look, that the jet/needle is the problem, but will have a better look and report back. I don't know anything about what goes on inside, but it does have the symptoms of the point of the needle catching on the neck of the jet and not going down the hole... so to speak. That is based on looking at the drawings. not taking it apart.

The jet is a loose fit  inside  holder, if the fuel,tube is a   bit long it can jam things cut 3mm off can help this if its  this

Have you read up centralise the jet to follow your initial ideas  you need the jet wound up the piston fully down and unscrew the jet big nut 1/2  turn,   raise and lower the piston give nut a tap and tighen,  the  piston must drop with a clunk onto the bridge

Return the  jet adj nut 3 turns or back to where it came from.

Pete

(Lack of) Progress report.  Took off the air filter and had a good look around. Then the damper, spring, piston assembly.  Pulled down the jet and pushed the linkage from left to right and the assembly returned upwards. Took off the linkage and the piston worked up and down (did appear to need a little oil of the shaft). Tried to loosen the big nut but none of my spanners appear to fit 1/2" to big 7/16" to small.  It could be the fuel lead pushing the piston to the left so I tried to loosen the nut holding it into the float chamber. Same problem, spanner won't fit (what on earth have I got here?. So, of course, I'm now worried about rounding the nuts or snapping them off. No wonder the garage didn't want to know.  Definitely looks like sideways thrust pushing the jet against the carb wall but I'm not sure where to go from here without causing major irreversible damage. Any good ideas chaps?

Many of the nuts on SU carbs are not standard AF sizes. Some are Whitworth, some just weird.

I would avoid disturbing the fuel hose nut in the float chamber. It took me many tries to stop the !"$%ing things leaking. If the jet moves fairly freely with the choke linkage removed then I'd say it's the linkage that's your problem. The choke cable operates cams that are on the side of the carb, and those operate rods that act on the jet at an angle. When returning, they pull the jet sideways and lock it up. I had that on mine a year ago and fixed it by bending the rod a little. Trouble is, I can't remember which way.

Thanks N/M. Logic decrees that I try bending it towards the direction I push the jet when it releases. Will have a go shortly.

UPDATE

Took off the link.. it had a slight bend in it.  I straightened it up but bent the 'proper' bends a little more and put it back on.  Amazingly, at the moment, it appears to work!!  Thanks to all, as usual.  It now need to load the seats and check the choke.. when it stops raining, if it ever does.. I know, fair weather, but why not.  That's what rainy days are for, fixing things so that you can drive on the nice days.

Hopefully to finish off the section of the thread on the leaf spring. I have enlisted 'rent a crowd', consisting of about 280 pounds of tomato compost. The camber is now, as best as I can make out .. left 1.8 degrees, right 1.4 degrees, which according to the 'Lewis' formula means that my camber is 1.6 degrees. Haynes says 2 degrees so unless anyone out there screams loudly at me, I think I can call that done and put the interior back in, at long last. At least, after all of this bit, I feel considerably safer now the spring is mounted somewhat more like the book says.  Now off the the greenhouse with the compost.

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Thats good,,  what are you trying to grow    with all that compost ,, jack and the bean stalk ????

Pete

I would say "spring onions"............     Sorry BW...... Glad you are now sorted :) 

Tony.