** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

Unfortunately no good reports from this particular unit. First one received worked on conventional setting but not on electronic. Good response from the seller who sent on a second unit very quickly. This was fitted and she started on both settings without any problems..... until I started moving. That's when the trouble started. Miss-fire, back-fire, poor revs, no revs.  Embarrassingly pulled over, lid up, switch to conventional. Started without any trouble and we took off like the proverbial. So nil points for this one and I have put my old SX1000 back on for the time being. That works on conventional and on electronic only miss-fired occasionally, not every rev like the new unit.

Does anyone have any photos of the headlight area of a MkIV Spitfire/GT6 bonnet from above and below. Preferably without the headlight cowl. I am replacing the 'restored' steel on either side with new shop bought panels. The problem is that I don't have anything original to go on. What I am removing is just badly welded sheet steel with the appropriate holes hacked in it. I would be grateful for anything. All the photos on the web are very low resolution and while they give an idea are not really good enough.

image.png.930d5c13565486f280ae14a5877948c0.png

These are the half panels that I am using.

I have managed to track down some more pictures of the plates that I am fitting, so along with Colin's picture I am good to go. Good job I've have had a look, as it turns out that most of the spot welds on the repair plates haven't penetrated and a sharp twist with a screwdriver brought them away. Also, as expected, the insides of two overlapping plates were rusting away happily. Here we go again!!

• 2 weeks later...

A slight diversion from the work on the bonnet. On the 'https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/5075-spitfire-1500-overdrive-gear-stick/' thread I was worried to notice the scarcity of overdrive gearsticks and also the price being asked for those that were available. When I fitted the refurbishment kit of washers, springs and things, I noticed that the point of attachment of the stick to the linkage was badly worn due to the lack lf washers etc when it was previously put back together. I have a geeat fear that this might break in the near future. Can anyone advise if this can be successfully repaired (maybe by building it up with weld, grinding back to shape and redrilling the hole), or will it need replacing?

• 3 weeks later...

Pete - The bonnet job is progressing very slowly at the moment.  Just finished POR15 painting some metalwork,prior to the next bit. I am going to cause havoc with the purists shortly by chemically bonding (ok then, gluing) some sections together after experiments with various structural/aviation adhesives. It may work, may not, we will see. If it does, it will open up a whole new world for bodywork in certain areas. My latest experiments using 1.5mm aluminium angle with 1mm steel sheet have been very interesting as I have not yet managed to separate them by hand and will try a hammer as a last resort. I will post some photos shortly.