** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

Mjit - Just to progress the force needed to break the bond idea a little further. I note that your calculations have, as expected, taken into account the downward force (weight) along with the magnitude of 'moment' (lever effect) around the point of bond, but how do I take into account the area of bond, in this case 1 square inch, against a larger/smaller area which should be stronger/weaker depending on size? Glad to see that your calculations agree with my simple - weight in pounds mulitplied by distance in feet. I must have remembered some of ny 'O' level physics from all those years ago. So sorry about the imperial measurements, product of a bygone age.

foyles ..........you need to escape more  

Boyle's Law, an ideal gas law which states that the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its absolute pressure at a constant temperature. ... In other words, the product of pressure and volume is constant for a fixed mass of ideal gas at fixed temperature.

remind me of a good curry

Pete

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

So sorry about the imperial measurements, product of a bygone age.

Let's start a campaign to bring them back. I still use feet and inches, pounds and stones, and have to think for a time before converting them into this newly fangled metric stuff, which is usually only when I have to.

if we actually went metric instead of just labeling 1 lb jars of jam as 454g there may have been some progress to use decimalised weights volumes dimensions but we never did

so we stick to whats BEST

most would understand the need for 6" but 152mm is not the same .............!

pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

foyles ..........you need to escape more  

Boyle's Law, an ideal gas law which states that the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its absolute pressure at a constant temperature. ... In other words, the product of pressure and volume is constant for a fixed mass of ideal gas at fixed temperature.

remind me of a good curry

Pete

Reminds me of the time the retort door opened mid cook and all the cans came out. The contents hit the ceiling, 10 metres up! Temperature high, volume/pressure change. Result dog food on the ceiling.

21 hours ago, Badwolf said:

but how do I take into account the area of bond, in this case 1 square inch, against a larger/smaller area which should be stronger/weaker depending on size?

My engineering degree was far to long-ago to try and remember the hard stuff, like shear strength, etc.  How about a retest, but double the bonding area (glue at 180 degrees rather than 90 so you can overlap by 2" - don't think that would make any substantive difference and you can just G clamp it to the bench?

Or, as you said it was almost tipping the bench when it failed do the above but just overlap by 1/2"?

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

you wouldnt nip down the pub for 568ml   ...would you

No.  But there have been many, many mornings where I wished I'd only been ordering 500ml (the extra 68ml/drink clearly the bit that pushed me from "That was a good night" to "I want to die").

• Like 1

I am still waiting for the two other adhesives to arrive so that I can test them. So in the meantime I have been cleaning the underside of the steel bonnet prior to treating it with por15. A very mucky job getting rid of the waxoyl and crud of 25 years in storage, and am just about to take a stripping disk to the paint and rust.

As some of you may have seen on Jonathan's radio thread, I also decided to get a new radio after my old cassette job had eaten my Bee Gees cassette. I also wanted something with a usb charger for my tablet when using the satnav app. This caused great fun as there were no instructions worth talking about to programme it, plus a lot of the description of the slimline Chinese unit just wasn't true (no SD card slot, bluetooth, hands free, missing bits etc) so its going back and I have ordered a different one which other members appear to like, and have made sure that it comes with a manual. Watch this space!!

Busy time over yesterday and today. Both types of adhesive have arrived so I have set up several test pieces to try out. I will leave them a couple of days to thoroughly cure and then weight test them. If anyone has any practical ideas for testing, please post. I have bonded several lengths of metal with overlap bonds of one and two inches and intend to weight them as a shear test, (bond in vertical position) and peal, (bond in horizontal position). I don't have the practical facilities for tension or other tests, but that should suffice.

The replacement radio has arrived like the one that @PaulH is using. Wired it up and got a surprisingly decent noise out of the radio. The programming instructions.. (!!??) well, PaulH, if you can scan and post yours I would be very grateful. Not only is the radio 'retro', so are the instructions. I can best describe as a 1970's style translation. Still trying to set up the bluetooth, usb, sd and clock but getting pretty good with everything else. At least everything seems to be there. More to come.

Well done BW, I've still got flashing disco lights on mine. :( I lost all the settings when I disconnected the battery. Done that twice.

I've fitted a battery isolator, it comes with a bypass fuse to keep power to the radio when you operate the isolator. I'm not sure I want the fuse, I don't want the radio draining the battery over Winter. I could buy one of those trickle charging gizmos, but a lot of money just keep the radio settings. 

Doug

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Busy time over yesterday and today. Both types of adhesive have arrived so I have set up several test pieces to try out. I will leave them a couple of days to thoroughly cure and then weight test them. If anyone has any practical ideas for testing, please post. I have bonded several lengths of metal with overlap bonds of one and two inches and intend to weight them as a shear test, (bond in vertical position) and peal, (bond in horizontal position). I don't have the practical facilities for tension or other tests, but that should suffice.

The replacement radio has arrived like the one that @PaulH is using. Wired it up and got a surprisingly decent noise out of the radio. The programming instructions.. (!!??) well, PaulH, if you can scan and post yours I would be very grateful. Not only is the radio 'retro', so are the instructions. I can best describe as a 1970's style translation. Still trying to set up the bluetooth, usb, sd and clock but getting pretty good with everything else. At least everything seems to be there. More to come.

Here goes 314A9847-17D6-4F31-B787-EC36422176FE.thumb.jpeg.abdd26c59cc55c13faa296dd64f439d2.jpegBB539F02-6B68-43C0-9321-8634F59FFB0C.thumb.jpeg.8a810b03a83ac87e44308d5f85e2a8b3.jpegPaul 

• Like 1

Doug - Got two of the Aldi charger thingies. One for the Spitfire and one for Lady BW's. Brilliant gadgets. I think they were about £15.00 each. Probably will be coming up again soon as winter approaches. Put one on Lady BW's and it appeared to do a wobbly but then totally restored the battery. Took a full day to do it but worked very, very well. I keep the other on the Spitfire as mucking about with things it gets drained via the courtesy lights especially if I leave the doors open to do another job.

Paul - Thanks for taking the trouble to post your instructions, yes, same as mine. Interesting stuff but no programming instructions. At least the unit is more user friendly than the other one.  The update for that is that the seller messaged me to offer a 30% discount and suggested that I take it to my local store to have sorted out!!! How would they sort out stuff that has been incorrectly described, when its not there!! Beyond belief. As I said before, its only a tenner but there is a sort of principal here, I'm not being mean!!!

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Well done BW, I've still got flashing disco lights on mine. :( I lost all the settings when I disconnected the battery. Done that twice.

I've fitted a battery isolator, it comes with a bypass fuse to keep power to the radio when you operate the isolator. I'm not sure I want the fuse, I don't want the radio draining the battery over Winter. I could buy one of those trickle charging gizmos, but a lot of money just keep the radio settings. 

Doug

I found that the trouble with the fuse is that everything still works, lights, radio the lot, well it will won't it. the neg is still connected to the bodywork. The only thing the fuse will do is blow if someone tries to start the car, or overloads the fuse in some other way. I doubt that it would stop an electrical fault fire but the sparkies will be along to correct me on that. I think the best thing is to isolate totally and reprogram the radio when needed.

Doug - Got two of the Aldi charger thingies. One for the Spitfire and one for Lady BW's. Brilliant gadgets. I think they were about £15.00 each. Probably will be coming up again soon as winter approaches. Put one on Lady BW's and it appeared to do a wobbly but then totally restored the battery. Took a full day to do it but worked very, very well. I keep the other on the Spitfire as mucking about with things it gets drained via the courtesy lights especially if I leave the doors open to do another job.

I thought i would have a look for Doug on the Aldi website Badwolf, as like you i have two of them (very good they are) but alas they are no longer available...... I also have one of the expensive ones (c-tech) and the Aldi one is better.

Tony.

At least the unit is more user friendly than the other one.  The update for that is that the seller messaged me to offer a 30% discount and suggested that I take it to my local store to have sorted out!!! How would they sort out stuff that has been incorrectly described, when its not there!! Beyond belief. As I said before, its only a tenner but there is a sort of principal here, I'm not being mean!!!

Come on BW! Where's your sense of adventure? Think of the sense of satisfaction you'll have once you work out how it operates.

I spend 90% of my life like that with phones and other electronics, I love that feeling of "I never knew it did that!" when someone shows me...

• Haha 1