TSSC Tax Disc

rogerguzzi

26 minutes ago, Gully said:

I have a 'period' tax disc in my GT6. The debate in my head was always whether to have one dated for Jan '71 (when the car was registered), or the expiry date of its original tax disc (assuming 12 months period - Dec '71). I went with the latter...

Gully

I made the same decision

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Oh no, what have I started this time.

By the way, does anyone happen to know the correct names of the fonts used on tax disc. There most be a list somewhere but I have not found it up to now.

If you are worried about the holes around your discs, don't forget that for concourse, some of the holes on certain years are oval and it's very important that you get it perfect...

image.png.8d32f3a3298c1ae8a3f94b2cc43e8eef.png

If you want a free repro disc for your car, you might also find this link useful.

https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/258099-free-repro-tax-disc-downloads/

I’d be very surprised if the tax disc fonts were identical to any readily available PC font, except possibly on the very last issues when they certainty will have been computer designed. There might be something close about (but will it be close enough for concours, who knows :D ) 

14 hours ago, Chris A said:

I know why you need a repro version - nobody in Ireland paid the tax back in the day?😱

No idea, I know they didn't have an MOT for years which explained the state of many of the cars back in the day. They were so overwhelmed a few years back with people waiting for a driving test they just decided that anyone who had been driving for a reasonable time had passed... licence in the post. However when it comes to collecting tax no doubt that was done properly.

Up North we were controlled from DVLA Coleraine then more recently Swansea and you could get away with absolutely nothing... :)

22 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Absolutely! A low life I know off had 4 cars, he'd tax one and photocopy the disc for the other 3.  Year after year, never got caught.

Doug

The other solution was to have multiple cars that looked the same and all had the same registration number on them. 

That still works today.

• 2 weeks later...

Got one made up... it's 99% accurate (ours didn't have the word 'Private' and the hand-written text was usually down the centre, not to one side) but it's quite nice otherwise. I like the way that the 'Belfast' stamp at the bottom is dated 2 MR 70 to reflect that the car was first registered in March 1970, so 12 months (inclusive) tax expires Feb 71.

disc.jpg.45a9988c6f5ef6aafeb8eb02fec0f504.jpg

Had to search high and low to find a good period tax-disc holder for it... :)

Here, you still have a  to display a “real” tax disc on any vehicle that goes on the road no matter what age it is ( even the oldest vehicle on the Island, a roadworthy 1900 New Orleans, has to have one)

“ historics” are £25, like for my Spitfire, which hasn’t been on the road for  …err…well..  a few years.. ( if you let  it lapse a couple of years a fairly stringent test is required before it can go on the roads) 

5E328F74-B184-4319-81E2-3BC0858227BF.thumb.jpeg.012c45bd387f362a20b5c7d07561a7c0.jpeg

Hard to believe now, but  I can recall when  that the tax disc also used to display  the name and the address of the  owner!

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

Doug was just testing to see if YOU know which it was, crafty blighter that Doug chap 😁

Nah, I was poking fun at JohnD who, although posting on here since 2014, doesn't seem to know where the front page is. 

I suspect Pete was doing the same. :)

Doug