Gearbox needs a dentist.

68vitesse

Driving round the north orbital on the way home, Dorchester to Norwich, a nock started but only in third on arriving home drained the gearbox oil and found bits stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Annoying thing is this is or rather was a quiet gearbox with good syncro so will have to remove it to delve deeper.

Keeps me busy in retirement.

post-227-0-92381300-1502722552_thumb.jpg

Regards

Paul

Have fitted the gearbox with J type overdrive from my long term project, not as quiet and the overdrive  is not as smooth when selected engages with more of a thump.

Been having a look at the faulty gearbox.

Two teeth missing from the third gear on the countershaft, would I need to change the mainshaft third gear as well?.

Would the overdrive, J type, need stripping for cleaning?.

Regards

Paul

Counter shaft tooth fatigue , not uncommon,, seen the price of replacements Oooh!

buy a slave gox for spares is best route

On J types I would remove the solenoid and its inner spool valve piston clean and fit new 0 rings

give the filter a clean and it is normally a bullet proof unit.

if the 3rd gearwheel teeth are un marked its a chance to re use, with the load of the tooth failure on the teeth I would replace It there may be a tooth fracture developing and you cant see it ..

there are two clusters, and gear sets , 2nd  and 3rd  ratios change between 4 cyl and 6 cly   

but you can swap them in sets , just fitted a spitty box with vitesse cluster and gear sets 

not much sinlge rail fits 3 rail  lots of bits very close but needs careful part number checking, or you get 

more reverse teeth or a right wobbly 1/2 hub ,  

and 3 syn vs 4 sync  is another not much mix and match 

post-227-0-51471300-1503505784_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-40893800-1503505785_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-32463900-1503505786_thumb.jpg

Got the gearbox apart today and found a cluster which looks the same also a third gear which just seems to have a shorter cone the syncro ring engages on.

The gearbox has the fine input shaft with three rail selector reverse up by first so a mixture of bits with the larger bearing for the mainshaft tip.

I have a coarse and fine input shaft so think I should have bits from two gearboxes but can only find one lot, a newspaper with some of the bits dated February 2006.

Any thoughts on compatibility of the parts greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

from my years in gearbox reliability i would expect thats the case 

it may be around the intro of 4sync  but thats a guess

but theres little info about this subject ,

my last  box in the VIt6 i went to mike papworth  to get a 18mm spigot (like yours) but 10  spline input shaft 

he recognised  the change,    quoted you have the latest profile    !!   but ....sorry im unclear 

Pete

• 2 months later...

Gearbox now back together, went to see Mike Papworth very helpful and informative he spent some time checking my bits and advised me on what to replace, just cluster and third gear. As Pete said a few different clusters with the difference not obvious on some of them.

Only way I have of checking my work is to swop boxes and take the car for a drive but will try it first before connecting the prop shaft.

Regards

Paul