Oil Filters

Darren Groves

it,ll still tek a good few secs for oil light t,go oot

its not as pronounced as ona a 6 pot, but its still there

filer will looose a wee bit owa time, but nee where near as much as a single filter,

main cause really is the oil gallery , it empties quite quickly, this then es t,be filled up agen ..befoer the oil light will go oot.

dont believe me, then tek an oil galley plug oot  after say  an hour,or even 20 mins, there nee oil at all in thea

Markusumps,or Accysumps whats needed

Ohh, there was a good long thread owa ont CT site a few yers back,

a few of us tried all sorts an got diff results

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?m-1373532310/s-15/

M

Hello All

That,s it I have enough oil filters to last for a couple of years!

I ordered 3 Mann W916/1 from Euro car spares when they had a big discount on and got 3 for £8.78 inc p&p

So there is no excuse for fitting rubbish ones(if you have the 5/8" to 3/4" adapter)

Roger

On 23/08/2017 at 8:44 PM, clive said:

Lovely! Please let us all know how the filter works out.... 

Started up the Herald this morning, first use since Thursday. With the previously fitted B&B filter I would get 3-4 seconds of the death rattle after that sort of period, but not even a hint of it, so early signs are that the Mann filter is doing a good job.

Darren

13 hours ago, Darren Groves said:

Started up the Herald this morning, first use since Thursday. With the previously fitted B&B filter I would get 3-4 seconds of the death rattle after that sort of period, but not even a hint of it, so early signs are that the Mann filter is doing a good job.

Darren

Hello Darren

I am pleased they seem to working for you, I have been running Mann W916/1 all this year and I do not get the few seconds of death rattle now(oil light and gauge still a bit slow)

When I was running Megajolt I used to turn the fuel pump of and crank engine over for several seconds with the choke in to help build up pressure!

Now I just start the car and even when we were in Spain and 35 to 40 degs (oil must have been like Knats pee?)still no rattle

Just had a thought with our Microsquirt set up the engine turns over for 2 complete cycles before firing so I suppose that helps

But yes John thanks for pointing me in the direction of GOOD oil filters(and no more expensive?)

Roger

Thanks all. One of our group suffered a puncture, so we detoured to a garage. Happened to be on a commercial centre, so a cake shopping trip ensued. Just had dinner in Lille, ready for the official start tomorrow early morning. I shall endeavour to avoid damaging the car, and do not expect issues. Except the altitude issue, and we are ready with our bodge to get us through. Unlike the pi cars that will suffer...

• 4 months later...

Bit of a holey thread resurection! But I noticed that now my car has been run a few times, the oil light is taking a second or so to go out and I get a little bottom end rattle - so was thinking of changing the filter for a better non-return one and get an adapter - is this what I need? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-Oil-Filter-Threaded-Adapter-5-8-24-to-3-4-16-Black-Anodized-Aluminum-/382289528196

Not sure that is the correct thread count for the 5/8. Think it should be 5/8 -18?

I bought the adaptors from  the USA, male thread each end to exactly replace the adaptor fitted to our cars. But it needs a batch of 10  to make postage viable....

Is it worth me importing another batch of 10? Cost would be about £5 each including postage within the UK

Hello Clive.

Personally, I think it is and would probably be worth highlighting the issue and solution via a separate thread.

I have no doubt there are a number of owners experiencing the same situation as Mark and would be more than happy to have such a remedy.

Regards.

Richard.

Seems odd to have to go to the states for what is a comparatively simple item. 

I’m sure I could get some made given a drawing with the right dimensions- which might be the issue - so the us option might be easier 

£5 or so is bugger all in the scheme of things !

3 hours ago, Anglefire said:

According to the MANN website, the W 713/14 is still available and does list the Spitfires as one of the applications.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Oil Filter/W 713~14

But I'll still go for the conversion to give several options. :)

Got one of these adaptors fitted; so I use the Mann W713/9 for which I think the main application is listed as Land Rover Defender!

David

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Algy said:

Hi I thought I would saw you this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwmk1RYHpk

I had some of my apprentices break down some firlter and do the checks shown, it proved he was spot on and the Mann filters came out on top.

Hello All

I have used Mann filters for about 2 years now and do not get the drain back and buy them from Eurocarparts when they have and offer on (most weeks)

They are about £3.50 each and one a year is not going to break the bank

I can not be doing with the plain white box offerings!

Roger

• Like 1

I bought 2 Mann W 713/14 from a company that claimed to be in the UK - but they actually came from Germany - and they arrived today (I won't divulge the price in case someone has a dodgy ticker!) 

But I'd rather put a good filter on now and not have to worry (I hope) about the start up rattle until the adapters come.

Give that the oil tends to drain out of the filter, I assume I can just spin the old one off and spin the new one on (Filling with oil first if I can) without dropping all the oil?