Herald Slave cylinder push rod, bearing spigot or leaver arm lengths / compatability

Tim Bell

The chap (Toni) who is recommissioning my 1961 convertible (now with 1147 engine) has got it close to MOT status but initially thought that the Clutch Slave cylinder was the wrong size as there was virtually no movement and he couldn't get it into gear without switching off the engine. He has since established that the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder are the correct sizes so started looking at the push rod length, saying that he thought that there was an optional  push rod length or bearing spigot length or leaver arm because there was not enough travel (I had thought that there were syncromesh issues but Toni thought it to do with the above).

I don't pretend to understand all of this properly, and have tried to note down what Toni has said as accurately as I can. 

I said I'd put something on the forum to see if this rang any bells with anyone and whether anyone could offer any suggestions or thoughts given the above.

I do wonder of 1147 and otherwise some 948 components don't mix.

the slave diam changed with clutch diameter ,  rimmers list the changes 

certainly early cars had a different slave set up with return spring and free play at the push rod , 

together with on anchor cable to reduce engine movement 

later the slave was static and just found its own position, with no need for adjustment 

all from a foggy memory ,,  of 50 years ago with a  very rusty   59 948 .

Pete

I have a vague memory of this problem when I replaced the gearbox on my Mk2 Spitfire with one from a scrapyard. The scrapyard gearbox must have been from an early Herald and release arm and bearing in the bellhousing were for the spring type clutch cover whereas my car had the later diaphragm cover. I remember having to swap the arm from the broken gearbox into the new one (and fit the new release bearing) It has a very nice aluminium bellhousing, does yours? I could be wrong about this though, it was a long time ago.

Adrian