Herald 13/60 fuel pump not working.

itsnotquiteajaguar

A quick check on Paddock's site shows that a new pump costs about £16 whereas a repair kit is about £8 so there isn't really much to differentiate between the options price-wise. Someone else on the forum may be able to tell you if there are any pros and cons with the two alternative routes.

Wayne

Could be a blockage in the fuel line, could be a mechanical problem with the lever on the cam, could be the diaphragm. Probably best to take the pump off and have a look, see if it pumps liquid if you waggle the lever. If the diaphragm is perforated it will/should be obvious when you open it up. The garage fitted a new pump to my car when it failed during the MOT. New pump didn't work! Lever wasn't fully following the cam. I bought another from a reputable source (Canleys I think) which worked. There are a lot of dodgy new parts in the classics market, a lot originating in China. But the kits could also be Chinese!

40 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Could be a blockage in the fuel line, could be a mechanical problem with the lever on the cam, could be the diaphragm. Probably best to take the pump off and have a look, see if it pumps liquid if you waggle the lever. If the diaphragm is perforated it will/should be obvious when you open it up. The garage fitted a new pump to my car when it failed during the MOT. New pump didn't work! Lever wasn't fully following the cam. I bought another from a reputable source (Canleys I think) which worked. There are a lot of dodgy new parts in the classics market, a lot originating in China. But the kits could also be Chinese!

Same for me the new pump didnt work so bought a replacement refurb  kit 

Paul 

Mine suddenly stopped working a couple of years ago. I bought a replacement pump and rebuild kit as I was remote from the car at the time (in my parents' garage whilst we were having an extension at home). Took the top off the pump with it still attached to the engine and the hole in the diaphragm was immediately obvious. Quick change of the diaphragm and check of the straked-in valves and it was fine.

There are a few reports of the new mechanical pumps putting out too much pressure, but I've still not had to fit my spare (fortunately!).

Gully

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies so quickly!  Firstly, yes, the car simply wouldn't fire up one week, so I checked all the usual things and discovered the carb was dry, then worked back to the fuel pump, which was also dry. Waggling the lever didn't pull any fuel through. I have checked for blockages by blowing back down the pipe to the tank, and it bubbled away nicely, so no blockage there.

I will start by taking the pump off and seeing if it pumps liquid via the lever, then try dismantling the pump to check the diaphragm, and also check the short rubber hose at the tank as well!

TBC...