GT6 mk3 gearbox - mystery wires

Dave pb

A bit more wrangling about and it eventually slipped in.  Done all the bolts up today.   BUT,,,,can't get the gearbox cover on - i.e. the bit that you then bolt the gearlever extension piece on,

The reverse selector lever seems to be in the way of putting the cover on.  I guess some things may have moved with all my levering about, but I don't  notice anything at the time.  

Any ideas?

Dave

====

Hi Pete. 

I ensured the fork was in 1st by putting the remote in and selecting 1st. It already was as it turned out.   The problem seems to be that with the rear fork in the right place (and I'm assuming the front fork goes in the 1st/2nd synchro sleeve), then the reverse actuator arm is obstructing the rear fork.   See pictures below.  Can that reverse arm move much, it seems fully forward as far as I can tell, but needs to go forward out of the way a bit. Or, is that second gear ring from the right (I assume it is the 3/4 synchro ring) too far forward? But even if it is, the reverse arm will still foul the fork.

CIMG1825.JPG

CIMG1826.JPG

CIMG1827.JPG

Did you take the gears out or the rear extension cover off? If reverse gear slides out of the rear of the box too far then the reverse arm can slide off the gear completely and so won't move as it should until re-engaged into the slot on the reverse gear assembly. Unfortunately this means taking the rear cover off again and sliding reverse back until the arm re-engages.

Pictures are a four syncro box for a 2L Vitesse, the centre of the pin on the reverse lever in the gearbox is about 2.25 inch from the inside of the back of the box. The reverse idler is all the way back against the spacer.

The lid goes back on with the selector and gearbox components as in pictures.

If you want any more pictures etc. the box is on the bench in the garage.

Regards

Paul

P1000004.JPG

P1000005.JPG

Thanks All.

I didn't take the gears out, just put it in 1st then took off the gear lever extension, then the top cover. 

As far as I can see my gearbox looks exactly like the Vitesse one above. BUT the centre of the pin on the reverse actuator is only 2" from the inside of the back of the box, and it will not move forward 

Now, this might be relevant. As I was lying awake last night thinking about it,  it has always been stiff getting the gear stick into reverse, and sometimes into 1st.  Perhaps there is something amiss in the gearbox.

Are there any checks  I can do?  Right now the gear box is mounted in the car. I don't really want to take the whole thing out again as it was such a pain getting it back in.

Cheers

Dave

===

The reverse lever should pivot easy and slide the idler up down the shaft,  its a threaded pivot if the lever is , sort of thread bound this 

Can be rectified by undo the nut outside the case and rotate the pivot a bit.

wont affect 1st.

with the remote attached to the top cover can you select all gear positions and move the forks ok, ??

when you say hard to select 1st reverse is that a high effort   ??? 

or some crunching going on (which would be clutch drag not gearbox related)

Pete

Pete

Hi Pete

I managed to loosen up the reverse actuator by pressing the clutch and moving the prop shaft connection around whilst trying to move the actuator. It seems the reverse idler had been trapped by something. Now the actuator moves a bit backwards and  forwards but only a centimetre or so.  Should it be more?

Regarding the effort to select reverse it can be a bit of a shove and what sounds like a final clunk or clang as it goes in.  1st gear not so much clanging but still a bit of a shove.  I guess that it could have been the worn out clutch.

Dave

====

Cant give any dimensions  but the lever needs to travel the same as the ward on the selector shaft 

Bear in mind the reverse idler wont travel far if the mating gears teeth are not aligned and the teeth butt ,or there is any 

Load or wind up like the prop or clutch holding some engaged tensions

pete

I managed to get some gl4 ep80/90 today, so that is what is going in!  And some hex-headed filler/drain plugs. Those original square things are the stupidest idea I've ever seen.  Was there a reason they were done like that?

It might be going by Christmas.

Dave

===

Dave.

Mass produced and very cheap probably.

Personally, I have never had a problem with them - the clue is getting the correct size spanner etc. to fit properly; many do not and as such rounding off occurs. They only need to be nipped tight not torqued to infinity which some PO's seem to do !!

Regards.

Richard.

quite right,   think we have all come across plugs tightened by a gorilla

there can be complications with hex plugs  the forged square ones are tapered , you nip them up they self seal

most hex plugs are parallel threads and need a washer face to seal on ...something our gearboxes dont have 

pete

To infinity and beyond!   I've had to  resort to hammering things onto the square, and then hammering the whole thing round in the past to get them off.  Anyway,  nice new bits coming.

On another matter.  Very difficult getting a torque wrench onto the prop shaft nuts.

Dave

===

quiite right,   think we have all come across plugs tightened by a gorilla

there can be complications with hex plugs  the forged square ones are tapered , you nip them up they self seal

most hex plugs are parallel threads and need a washer face to seal on ...something our gearboxes dont have 

pete

most torque figures are for unskilled tooling, on hard face couplings etc. a std spanner and two shreaded wheat will give you an reasonably equal pull on all four nuts 

thats why spanners are differing lengths,   

an average hand on an average arm gives you what the nut requires,  safety critical or high stress components benefit from achieving a design condition, 

so big ends and steering arms need some respect .   prop shafts are not S C. 

something on a go slow and taking ages to load in no particular order .....  maybe virgin....isnt

pete