Herald Fuel Tank Replacement

Bordfunker

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Quick update, (been offline with computer issues, but sorted now).......had a chat with my neighbour and he thinks it will be possible to do a repair.  I've now emptied and flushed the tank through with water and it's in the garage awaiting his attention when he has time (probably another week or two).

He reckons on cutting a large piece out (including the drain point) using an air saw, and then standing a safe distance and lighting any remaining fumes through the enlarged hole (with the fuel cap off too) and this shouldn't do any damage with that amount of venting.  Then it should be a simple case of welding in a new patch, which should be fairly easy for someone with his skills I think.

If this fails then it's back to the search fro a tank at a reasonable price and distance.

Samantha.

He's brave.

Soaking a tank in hot water with detergent, renewing the water twice daily for a week, removed all smell of petrol and persuaded my local welder to repair a relatively new alloy tank for me.  Might not work on an old tank

Others fill the tank with water, leaving a rim to weld to, or flush the tank with a continuous flow of compressed air, to keep down the level of fumes.  Rednecks connect the tank to their car's exhaust pipe (yes, really!)

John

bearing in mind petrol fumes can hang around and be quite volatile  it cant be much worse than the old trick of a tin fill with gas an light it,   ker bangpop ,

mind you as kids we filled a 5 gallon drum with gas ...it took about a month for the eyebrows to grow back 

we all learn as we grow  Ha !

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my neighbour certainly managed a decent job on the tank, as I hope the pic shows, and all at an exceptionally reasonable price......but I don't think he wants to do another one like it!  He removed the drain pipe as requested, so a neater fit, and once a grommet is fitted, that'll be one less hole in the floor too.  He also did a very neat job welding a long patch over the transverse front boot floor seam, which I think had suffered due to the fuel leak. Just waiting for a weather window to get the tank fitted now :huh:....and then on to sorting out the other jobs.

Samantha

20171212_110706.jpg

• Like 1

think said before but while its out replace or check the rubber olive in the reserve swivel union  , you could fit a solid copper olive and nip it up tight then it never leaks again but the swivel will be sort of fixed tight .  depends if you even feel you need the reserve option, it only drops the suction tube a small amount  not hi tech

Pete

Samantha ,   its not really  a reserve tank   the suction tube inside the tank is curved , not straight, so when you turn the lever on the top you 

turn the pipe and this just lowers the point is sucks from ,  simple but effective, , 

lack of use and age degrades the seal inside the union nut under the lever and this can then leak with a full tank of fuel sloshing about .

you need to prise the lever from under the sweep plate and unscrew the sleeve nut , whats under it may be good or ...rubbish ... easy while tanks out

but worth  a quick look.  

the repairs looking good. 

Pete

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Samantha ,   its not really  a reserve tank   the suction tube inside the tank is curved , not straight, so when you turn the lever on the top you 

turn the pipe and this just lowers the point is sucks from ,  simple but effective, , 

Very effective if, like me, you sometimes let the tank run right down. Stranded two miles from home one night after a show, I remembered the reserve and while it may only be a pint or two more, it got me home. Just remember to keep the lever in the other position so it's always available if you need it. 

• Like 1