radio required

Dave pb

Firstly - is it a standard DIN size? This allows much more choice than some of the old smaller units. Buying one of the old retro-look units that have converted internals is often expensive and you can get away with a more modern unit in our cars if you go for the right look... 

If it is standard size then it all depends on the look you want; I went for a Clarion unit with USB as it has a plain, black face and from the colour / display options you can choose a quite muted white display that suits the period dials in my GT6; I hate the really garish blue or red displays that many of the moderns have. This one takes a small USB stick and I've about 40 CDs on it, but the output is loud enough through four speakers to be heard over the GT6 engine. The USB stick means that you don't have to put the gearstick into 2nd or 4th to eject a CD... they're about £70 new on eBay but have been around for a while so cheaper used. There's also the input for an iPod jack.

CZ202ER.jpg.529c99d7c1a3776043d2a215300d060c.jpg

For my modern I've got a Pioneer DEH X3700UI an it may well find its' way into a Triumph before long; you can adjust the colour of the display and dials to absolutely any shade you want, and I've matched 'Triumph dial green' exactly before now, just by sitting in the dark and adjusting the RGB minutely until it's a perfect match. Currently £55 new on eBay with a few second-hand ones going for between £20 and £30. The only downside is that I find the front faceplate maybe too modern looking for a period car but it's more subtle than many.

3700Ui.jpg.ff718232420e5370de46d82b8dcc9429.jpg

Again it takes the USB stick or iPod cable jack so no bother with CD collections lying about the car, and both are a straight wiring fit with red for power, yellow for memory and black for earth. (although there's an orange (or blue?) for electric aerial if you want). I can see me hanging on to both for some time, they're perfect for what I need and won't need upgraded to anything else in the near future.

If you can push the boat out, these units are absolutely superb and you can change the fascia style to suit your requirements; worth looking on their actual website for further information.

The link is for info purposes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-Radio-DAB-FM-RDS-Bluetooth-USB-Aux-in-iPhone/262857379019?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Regards.

Richard.

The last couple I have bought have been from Halfords (shock horror) and for under £50. One was a pioneer,the other a sony. Both decent enough, and as cheap as anywhere.

However, I like the idea of the ones without a CD player but with bluetooth/line in. 

My early qualies were in electronics and radio and I would guess that the radio gubbins in Shaun's £18er and Richards £259er are much the same. It's the extras, hands fee mobile phone, sub woofer, retro styling that cost the money. I would like just a radio, with plain facia, tuned to radio4, for preference. But I am drawn to Colin's Triumph green glowing Pioneer. 

Yep, I just want a radio, a usb charging / playing port and a cd slot. Bluetooth- don't care, hands free phone- don't care. Retro styling would be nice but don't really care about it.

I only want the cd slot as I have a lot of old ones and can't be bothered porting them to a usb-stick. Lazy or what.

Dave

====

Hello John.

Absolutely and these units have come on a long way since their inception decades ago. They have needed to improve to keep up and deliver the level of quality that the majority of radio units do these days.

I have a unit sold by Moss, it's excellent: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/retrosound-hide-away-amplified-aerial-230-555.html

Regards.

Richard.

Another way would be to get a period radio, even if it didn't work or didn't work very well,  but actually run your audio and fancy features from your phone to an amp in the boot. With some use of the soldering iron you could even route it via the old radio volume knob. Or... You could have an amp source switch so you could switch between phone for your DAB or Spotify and the old radio in the facia if you wanted to listen to Dick Barton or Pick of the Pops on medium wave. 

• Like 1

Doug it was only the start of an idea so you'll have to take it it whatever direction it takes you. The idea struck me because I use a separate dab tuner in my daily driver so only ever use the volume control on the head unit. 

Drat and double drat!  Because of this thread I had a look on ebay at DEH X3700UIs and saw an auction for a DEH X3800UI, the next one up in the range. I put in a very silly bid, thinking I'd never win. Guess what?  :o   So now I'm committed, current speakers have holes in, so new speakers, current aerial is rusty so new aerial, current cables, long gone, so new cables.

I blame Colin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Haven't got around to replacing radio yet.  But I had a thought....(rare enough),,,,,  Is there such a thing as a car radio/stereo/cd/mp3 player that only uses Bluetooth speakers?  Get rid of any old speakers in the car, and just have ones that work wirelessly?

Dave

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, John Bonnett said:

On a similar subject, I don't want to drill the bodywork for an aerial so I wondered if anyone has had good results with an interior aerial with an amplifier?

go for a DAB unit and then you can put a very small aerial on the windscreen. Assuming you have DAB coverage where you are!

cheers

mike

• Like 1

Bluetooth UE Megaboom hooked up to your phone; streaming of any stored music, internet radio plus hands-free phone. Speaker is removable so you can take it with you when parked up or lock in the boot.

not much of a downside if you also keep your old period-look radio in the existing mount.

....... andy 

Hi Andy, thanks for that.  I used to live in Lightwater,  but now in the sunny Isle of Man (not sunny today).

Anyway I have read that if you connect an FM transmitter (about £10)to the line-out of a stereo, you can then use wireless speakers. I haven't tried it myself, but apparently works. You do need a volume control on the Bluetooth speakers apparently, as the stereo volume control doesn't affect the line-out.

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave,  at that price it has to be worth a go!

Funny that you used to live so close... i’v lived in the area boy and man, to be honest it hasn’t changed much At all over the years, just fewer Triumphs on the roads :)

Having spent £60 on a pair of decent speakers, that run off a £20 amplifier (plugged into MP3 player or phone for the muzak) I was gutted when a chap working for me turned up with a JBL flip 4. The size of a large beer can it produces amazing sound. Bluetooth, rechargeable with decent battery life, chuck it in the boot when you leave the car or take it inside for a party...

I've had a Harmann Kardon (not a Karmann Hardon) Onyx speaker in the garage for three years now, and the sound is amazing. I got it free from O2 with the daughter's latest phone, but they're £99 to buy new these days. They also run cordless, which I only found out last month, so all those years of extension leads were wasted... however they're still a great portable sound and the daughter herself got one for Christmas past, to make up for me pinching hers back then. They'll run from any bluetooth device, I'm not sure how they'd sound in the car, having never tried it, but I'm well pleased with mine. Incidentally if you buy one make sure it's not the mini version which is quite a bit smaller than the original.

onyx.thumb.jpeg.af4ecc3d7fa706d009c2afabf56f03f3.jpeg