over revving engine

bengaku

Hi rather stupidly i allowed my son-inlaw to drive my 1976 spitfire he over revved the engine even though i told him to make sure he didnt what a moron .anyway after him driving if that what you call wrecking a car the  engine was making a hell of a racket seems to be coming from top at rocker cover took this off but saw nothing out of place so has anyone else had this problem with over revving and then a sort of clanking noise sounds like a tractor on a bad day any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking regards Paul 

Little ends? Knackered valve? Try the big screwdriver stethoscope, tip on the cylinder head, handle to ear. Move up and down the head to see if noise is localised. Noise can be deceptive and appear to be coming from elsewhere, big ends?  However, I wouldn't run the engine too long to avoid further damage.  Are you in touch with any local club members who could give you some advice? But sounds like head off for starters. :(

You'll have some light splashing but not an excessive amount flying about. You may be able to narrow the noise down to one end of the engine or the other by just listening or watching how the parts move when running; don't get too close if anything is likely to get caught or tangled. 

Big bends clank   if this is 1500 and its stretched its  legs it may be terminal bearing failure

As said on the Look for a cheap option  see if  any  push rods jumped out , broken valve springs   rockers  with large clearances 

using a screwdriver is a good start but keep it out of the fan or its A &E to get it removed 

Pete

We had mine running without the cover at the twiddle day  No one got any oil on them and there were plenty of people watching all round the engine  One if the things I have learnt from Pete the Oracle!

Aidan