The Lightweight is sold

This week will mark the end of quite big chapter in my life with the departing of the GT6 Lightweight on Friday. It has been sold to two brothers who live in Cornwall; TR Register members who own a TR6 and a concours TR5. They run a classic car restoration business. Although it will be sad to see it go, I'm really happy that it's going to them. They appreciated the hours that had gone into the project but more than that they were blown away by the driving experience and that pleased me more than anything. 

For me, the project was hugely satisfying and the result surpassed my wildest dreams in every respect. There have been many high points with the car but perhaps the pinnacle was equalling the time of a 170bhp MK1 Lotus Cortina on the Coup Florio speed hill climb in Brittany in 2015. 

The next project will have to go some to surpass this one!

IMG_6047 (Small).JPG

IMG_6048 (Small).JPG

IMG_6793 (Small).JPG

Hello John.

It is always good to know when a classic whatever its marque, interest or design level goes to someone who is a real enthusiast for such a vehicle that ensures its longevity. I have to say on a personal basis it was an extremely interesting project to see being developed and the fact that you were able to share that with so many readers was an absolute treat to say the least.

Well done and good luck with the next / ongoing project.

Best wishes.

Richard.

John,

This is probably a good time to thank you for the time you spent on recording and posting the story of your astonishing build. I can honestly say that your engagingly written and incredibly modest  posts were the main inspiration for me to get out to the garage and to finally finish the15 year restoration of my Spitfire. My skills are not in the same league as yours but I hope you will be pleased to know that I followed your advice on wiring and that my Spitfire has fuses and relays in every conceivable location. 

I will miss hearing about the fine tuning of your beautiful Lightweight but I am enjoying the Ginetta story just as much.

Thank you!

Adrian

6 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

John,

This is probably a good time to thank you for the time you spent on recording and posting the story of your astonishing build. I can honestly say that your engagingly written and incredibly modest  posts were the main inspiration for me to get out to the garage and to finally finish the15 year restoration of my Spitfire. My skills are not in the same league as yours but I hope you will be pleased to know that I followed your advice on wiring and that my Spitfire has fuses and relays in every conceivable location. 

I will miss hearing about the fine tuning of your beautiful Lightweight but I am enjoying the Ginetta story just as much.

Thank you!

Adrian

That brought tears to my eyes Adrian. Thank you so much and thank you too to everyone else for your interest and encouragement that I received during the highs and lows of the journey. Along the way, I have made some very good friends and been knocked over by the huge amount of help and advice so freely given by people far more knowledgeable than I.. 

There is a heading for non-Triumph cars on the forum so I'll write the next one up there. The G15  that I'm currently building is a pretty car and with BMW power  should perform well. However, because there has been no metal shaping involved I've not found the project particularly satisfying and I intend to move it on as soon as it's finished. Very early stages yet but I'm thinking as my next project, building an aluminium bodied Sebring Sprite fixed head coupe. 

I'll  pop a couple more photos on when the car leaves on Friday and we can shed a tear together:(

• Thanks 1

Hi We are the new custodians of Johns car it will always be Johns car,We are in Cornwall so it will be not far away. We have bought a car,

but much more importantly made a new friend with a shared hobby.We are looking forward to seeing Johns future projects also him visiting us to view our TR s.

Steve and Tim Hickling

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GT4BAZ said:

Hi We are the new custodians of Johns car it will always be Johns car,We are in Cornwall so it will be not far away. We have bought a car,

but much more importantly made a new friend with a shared hobby.We are looking forward to seeing Johns future projects also him visiting us to view our TR s.

Steve and Tim Hickling

I'm really looking forward to seeing you both tomorrow and I'm pleased to see that the forecast is for a very pleasant day. The car will be ready for you together with quite a few bits and pieces to go with it. I'm also looking forward to seeing your workshop and TRs when we come down to Heligan in the very near future.

Safe journey. See you tomorrow.

John