Diff removal

Andrew

Hello

advise please. I have a late 13/60 herald with an oil leak on one of the output shafts from the diff.  Two questions

1) can I remove the diff with rear wheels on ramps or do I need the wheels hanging in the air and the car on axil stands.  And how difficult a job is it to remove the diff

2) once diff removed how difficult is it to install new oil seals,do I need a puller to get the drive shaft off.  Or should I remove the diff and take it to someone to change the oil seals, and if so can anyone recommend someone.

thanking you in advance

andrew

Hello Andrew.

If you are only removing the diff, then I would suggest you jack the rear of the car up and support it on axle stands as this will give you far better access. You need to consider the transverse spring as the only way that can be removed is to remove it sideways through the wheel arch. Needless to say if the rear is on ramps it will not be possible.

Ideally it is always nice to have the car level when doing this job so you could support the front of the car on ramps to give you an even keel.

Where do you live ??

Regards.

Richard.

The output shaft housing and assy is removable with diff in the car

Drop the drive shaft coupling and unscrew the socket screws through the coupling bolt holes

Then it should just pull out,  mabe a little pry to break the jointing ,  the hard part is removing the bearing o  the bench 

They can be tight ,  so its circlip off , grip the bearing / support the hsg, and drive the shaft out of the bearing

Then the seal can be replaced

So dont remove  the whole diff unless ......you really want to !!!

you really want to

As Pete suggests, remove the shaft with the diff in the car. A fiddle, but perfectly do-able. I have found that a sharp tap on the shaft plate once the cap-head bolts re out usually gets it moving.

If you don't have access to a decent bearing puller, recon shafts are available for not huge amounts of cash. May be a simple solution?

Hello Steve.

Sorry, a bit too far for me !!

With regard to the cap bolts they take a 3/16" Allen Key (AK) do not try and compensate by using a metric AK; ensure the road grot is out of the head hole so you can fully fit the AK in otherwise you could end up rounding the entrance to the hole making the tasking even more fiddly. Perhaps a squirt of Plus Gas to help free them off before using the  AK would be useful as well.

Regards.

Richard.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I thought I would say thank you to all who gave me advise on this subject.  I have replaced all three seals on my diff.  It is not a hard job but a lot of work for three bits of rubber seals. All put back together no oil leaks. If anyone is thinking they cannot do this job please have a go.

regards

Andrew

• Thanks 1