My Bruver's Spitfire

dougbgt6

• 1 month later...

For those on the edge of their seats wondering what's happened to my brother's Spitfire.

He's finished the bookcases and fixed the cooker after his "fall" in the kitchen. Now he's painted the replacement pedal and the replacement starter motor which are both installed. New battery, partial re-spray of the bulkhead, in fact anything other than to attend to the CLUTCH!

However, he's run out of excuses and today I went around to have a look. We bled the clutch, the old fashioned way, jam jar and plastic pipe. I have never seen SO much air come out of a hydraulic system, 6 fillings of the master cylinder!, 8 pumps each time and still it kept coming! We tapped the pipe at both ends and on the loop, MORE air! Finally, just brake fluid. Started the engine and............. the clutch works!

Now he's all fired up and is gonna start on the brakes. Oh dear.  :unsure: Here we go again.

Pete, you may still get a curry out of this.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Spitfire now up on axel stands. Passenger side rear drum is "protruding" exposing half an inch of shoe. Drum off, shoes off drum back on, still a gap. The other side is newish and OK. Passenger side is old, wonder if this side's been replaced with something from the breakers that's not quite right? What do we think?

Someone must have known this was wrong when it was put back together, I should have put it in bodge of the month!

Doug

Hello Doug.

Are the drums identical in size ??

Are the shoes same width across the lining ??

Taking the protrusion of 1/2" did that create a noticeable difference to the position of the wheel in relation to it being secured against the drum ?? In essence is the wheel being pushed outwards ??

If the lining is too wide for the drum to cover, I would expect the wheel to sit further out, if the drum is not wide enough to cover the brake shoe then I would expect the wheel not to be pushed outwards but sit normally against the drum despite it being too narrow.

If all that makes sense ?? !!

Regards.

Richard.

Doug you should have stayed up north,

This is typical of the trunnion bearing being whacked too far up the drive shaft  there is no control shoulder  it can go anywhere.

While its off check the trailing shoe has the spare handbrake lever hole at the bottom, at the bottom

You have to drop the shaft off the diff and club the shaft back throught the bearing/backplate/trunnion

There is a dimension in the wsm but that wont help you, its just a starting point if you are refitting

Then the hub flange pulls it into the right place, if its on too far , its club it to death

Pete

Richard,

Yes drums and shoes are the same, didn't really notice wheel protrusion, we got it to his house on a trailer so no tell tail handling problems.

Pete, also yes, should've stayed in Scotland! I think you're right, the big persuader is required. Plus new bearing and UJ? 

Here are some pictures

Doug

Drivers side

image2.JPG

Passenger side. Argh!!!

image3.JPG

Doug, Just some thoughts. Are the drive shafts the same length, the later spits had long half shafts. Are the bearings pushed too far on the tapered shaft, maybe due to wear?

I don't know if any of the above is relevant to your situation but they may be worth a check.

Dave  

a quick tape measure the shaft you can see  will show if they are unmatched lengths. just go yoke to flinger or any visual place 

if the bearing has failed then the shaft can walk outwards , if the bearing is 'OK' then the trunion has been fitted too far up the shaft, hence the thing sticks out beyond the backplate and its  grease  catcher

as i said there is no shoulder on the shaft to controll here the bearing sits, initial assy places the back plate/trunion on a little way enough to fit the hub and start 

the big nut doing the nut up presses the hub on the taper and feeds the shaft through the bearing supposedly in the right place

Ive a Spitfire locally with a not as bad but same problem, 

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Mother has left my care for my brother's house and he appears to be spending more time in the garage, for some reason.

He's got the half shaft off, it's the same length as the other side, but in the taking apart he has discovered a couple of tie-wraps (!) on the shaft behind the bearing, presumably to hold it in place. Rather worrying. So new bearing I think, maybe new shaft?

Doug