Prop shaft sliding joint query

Waynebaby

Hi everyone,

As my gearbox is out, I thought I'd take off the prop shaft to do a precautionary UJ change. There is a 7/16" bolt at the yoke end of the sliding joint and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what it is. I thought that perhaps the bolt blanks off a greasing point, but as the manual warns darkly about not dismantling the sliding joint I didn't want to undo the bolt and wreck something!

Wayne

IMG_1346.JPG

ADave it can only exit from the sleeve seal , which is a simplemoften cork ring under the screwed end cap

It does not lubricate  the cross pin journals ,, just the telescope splines  if you pump enough in it will spue out from under that end cap/cover then make a mess of your underfloor as it spins out

Pete

Hi,

I didn't get around to greasing the joint as it turns out I didn't have the correct grease nipple (it seems to be a different thread to those used on the UJs) As the joint slides easily enough and there is no obvious wear I think I'll leave it alone. I spoke to Mike Papworth about it and he made a useful observation, which was to make sure you only greased the SJ with the slide compressed. If you pump grease in with the sliding joint extended and then compress the joint there is a risk of blowing the cork seal.

Wayne

there is sometimes a small breather hole in the yoke sealing cap , this is a problem on 2000/2500 /TR rear drive shaft telescopes , they can get sluggish due to grease sealing up free movements within the slide

yes its easy to create a hydraulic block if the  over greased volume  cant escape as the joint moves, lucky on the small chassis cars it doesnt have to move  other than from a bit of operation shift as  the engine/ diff and chassis  move around, not like  when on a live axle or floating axle

the lack of movement does seem to introduce some significant wear on the telescope splines ,  when i bought the Vit6 is was horrifically sloppy., needing a new prop.

pete