Brake Master Cylinder Tilts forwards

PatK

Hi All, on my Vitesse 2L Mk2 the brake master cylinder is angled forward which makes accurate filling difficult. It appears that the triangular brake support that holds the cylinder angles the cylinder downwards. Is this normal and should the master cylinder reservoir be angled back to make it horizontal I have seen several clutch M/Cs angled like this but looking to replace my master cylinder all that i find are 90degree ones, same as fitted. Is it possible to change the cylinder supports for ones that hold the M/C at 90degrees and horizontal, or does anyone know where I can buy an angled reservoir M/C?

Thanks,   Patrick

Many of the much cheaper ones are 90deg , you can buy a mcyl with large plastic reservoir, better capacity and dont brim it

Eg carbuilder solutions or merlin motor sport  lots to choose from

Then the sliight angle doenst matter, there pleanty of fluid inside

Most main suppliers sell the angled but you pay for the  privalige  

You may find yours is ex landrover and may be a little oversized  as 0.7 becomes 0.75" 

if you want lighter pedal vo to the small caliper m cyl of 0.625" lighter pedal, increase travel in seriois conditions of failure may run out of  volume

Thanks Pete, very helpful and informative as usual. I do want an angled one however as it is not the capacity that bugs me,  but when you try and use Gunson's easy bleed which brims it, on removal you get a flood, and if you want to use a suction bleeder using compressed air then the auto fill reservoir that sits on top of the M/C will tilt and flood.

Where on the M/C do you take measurements i.e. 0.7.? Is that the bore of the cylinder? I've just replaced a very old M/C with a large diameter reservoir, approx 2", would that be land Rover?

the bore is normally in the cast body of the cyl. ( may be stamped, inked or cast )   if its off a quick measure the end of the circlip end of the bore will give a result.

on the line we added a metal spacer to ensure the level never brimmed, this was on evactuate and fill machine, same applied with a flat pressure cap it could brim, so the idea of removing volume works well.  just a bung  with a filling hole on the underside of the cap .

Pete

On 10/28/2017 at 10:08 AM, PatK said:

when you try and use Gunson's easy bleed which brims it, on removal you get a flood, and if you want to use a suction bleeder using compressed air then the auto fill reservoir that sits on top of the M/C will tilt and flood.

Don't start me on those things!! Avoid Gunsons, they explode! (Mine did....)

Small plastic pipe in a jar is the one I came back to, and it's done me better than all the gadgets I have lying in the garage collecting dust. 

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Don't start me on those things!! Avoid Gunsons, they explode! (Mine did....)

Small plastic pipe in a jar is the one I came back to, and it's done me better than all the gadgets I have lying in the garage collecting dust. 

Yes Colin, you are right, I'm going back to the old method now.

Jar up high, long tube , this keeps tube full of fluid, having a head stops any air ingrees from the nipple threads

Press down quick and count to 3 on return stroke, this gives time for recuperation to take place 

Belt and braces ,  lock the nipple after the down stroke open after pedal has returned

Pete