GT6 Heat/Air distribution jammed

RobHJ

I've recently acquired my first classic car - a 1971 GT6 MkIII :-)

Only a few minor niggles but the main bug at the moment is the jammed heat/air distribution slider. 

I've tried usual WD40 down the cable but it appears that its the distribution box end not the cable that is stuck.

Is there a diagram anywhere that show how this works? All the usual places (Rimmer Bros, Canley Classics) show the cable disappearing into thin air.....

Thanks

Rob 

Rob,  You need to remove the two black knobs on the sliders using a very small allen key,  they just pull off.

Then remove the screws from the centre section of the dash,   pull it off over the sliders far enough to see what is jamming.

Just watch you don't disturb any wires,     I always remove the battery earth terminal first.

Hope that helps,                       John

This diagram shows the swivel mechanism, doesn't show what it's anchored to, but it must be attached to the lever. I suspect it's the swivel that's stuck. Swivel is no longer available so hope you can clean it up.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-heater-unit-and-controls/

Be careful of the allen screw, apart from being very small and easily dropped and lost the thread in the knob is very soft and easily damaged, my knob's constantly falling off! :lol:

You may need to do a bit of limbering up, then get a decent light and insert yourself, upside down, into the drivers footwell. There you will find the heaterbox end of the cables. Maybe disconnect and carefully try moving things about until you discover which bit is stuck. 

A bit of my heater box has snapped, only discovered once the car was on the road. And as it is dash out to replace, it isn't happening! So I have to manually change the lever by rummaging in the footwell, usually at an inopportune moment. 

Had to sort the heater valve on my wifes MK3. It all went well right up until the wire pulled out the knob (at which point I had a cuppa) but luckily I discovered that the wire is held in by a grub screw/bolt arrangement so was fixable, heater now operating a treat. Happy wife.

Sorry for digressing.....

Thanks for the advice guys.

Clive - I tried hanging upside down in the footwell earlier - I can see the end of the fitting so will start from there.
It's a bit tight of space in there - these cars just prove my wife right.....I need to lose a bit of weight :lol:

I was a bit shy of taking things to bits but will give the suggestions here a go, hopefully tomorrow.

I don't understand (no change there) The valve on the engine is worked by the lever on the dash and allows, or stops,  hot water to flow to the heater. I thought all that goes to the heater from the dash is electrics to work the fan?

Nobody needs a heater in a GT6! (Digressing drift)

15 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I don't understand (no change there) The valve on the engine is worked by the lever on the dash and allows, or stops,  hot water to flow to the heater. I thought all that goes to the heater from the dash is electrics to work the fan?

Nobody needs a heater in a GT6! (Digressing drift)

I understood the problem to be with the other slider - the distribution selector for screen, car etc. That does connect to some flaps in the heater box.

As an aside, the heater in mine has packed up - yet to determine if the matrix is blocked or the valve knackered. And having properly insulated and sealed the tunnel I could do with it working again! Law of unintended consequences - worked fine until I stopped all the other hot air getting into the cabin!

Gully 

• 2 weeks later...