Grass cutting

PeterH

Having spent the afternoon strimming and generally grass cutting I am reminded of an anecdote in RV Jones’ book Most Secret War concerning the Biting Raid.

In the quest for information on the German navigation beam 'Wurzburg', a commando raid took place to capture one of the installations. (The raid is well written up at  http://www.combinedops.com/Bruneval.htm.) The raid was reasonably successful, but had huge unforeseen benefit. Up to the raid the radar sites, being quite small and unfenced, were difficult to find. After the raid the Germans fenced them all off and the resulting vegetation growing under the fence made them easily spotted.

:lol: I SHOULD have cut mine today, going for the record, 3 times in a year! But I found all sorts of other jobs to delay and, oh, now it's dark. Garden waste collection day tomorrow, but they don't come till late, plenty of time.

Did some "Go Comparing" today, modern's insurance runs out on 1st Nov. Liverpool and Victoria wanted a huge amount to re-insure, got it on line for £60 less with, Liverpool and Victoria! 

Spurred on, I had a look at energy and I'm now with Scottish Power saving £210 a year.  I could pay someone to cut the grass.

When I moved to Devon full time and had to find a job locally, I ended up being a groundsman at a local country club.....I really hate anything gardening related, so at the time I was paying someone to cut my grass and then going to work to be paid for cutting someone else's grass... :huh:

I only lasted 3 months at the country club and my gardens are now a combination of block paving, a patio and decking and no grass.....:D

Darren

44 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Did some "Go Comparing" today, modern's insurance runs out on 1st Nov. Liverpool and Victoria wanted a huge amount to re-insure, got it on line for £60 less with, Liverpool and Victoria! 

Ditto! But with SureThing. £308 renewal. So I  let my insurance lapse and went back online just after midnight.... £240. Same company.  Last year it was £150 but nothing has changed so I'm a bit miffed still. 

Btw go compare and several online shops show different prices at different times of day/week. Sunday afternoon is the most expensive usually. Rob dogs. 

I just phoned them up and said "Hoy! What's you're game?!!". They said "OK" no argument, got the impression it's standard practise. Interesting to know about Sunday afternoon. Checked it out several times earlier in the month and got the impression it got more expensive the nearer you get to the renewal date.

you need to clear your cookies (biscuits and on the puter) as they track you re-visiting and often stick teh price up each time.

Had household insurance with churchill, at renewal big increase, so wet online where they offered it at the same as the previous year. I phoned, poor woman agreed it was mad, but I had to take a fresh policy out online. Still, 30 mins to save £130 seems fair enough, but better if they just appreciated loyalty...(but that may not work, I think they often lose money on these discounted deals to pull you in)

I'm on my village council here in France and we have just renewed the insurance, before we did so we got 2 other quotes plus the renewal premium. The renewal was way over the others. when we contacted the existing insurers and mentioned we were reviewing our policy, they immediately offered a 'commercial gesture' and reduced the premium by 100 Euros. Still not enough so we changed company, just proves you do need to put them on the spot. :angry:

Never auto renew

Always compare

Always go (if possible) through a cashback site.

Got insurance for Mrs BW. Best price was £138 with £30 cashback. It does take a little time but what you can save makes it a good hourly rate of pay. Pity the club can't get better rates for moderns. I was quoted an extra £300 to add to the Spitfire policy.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:54 AM, Badwolf said:

Never auto renew

Always compare

Always go (if possible) through a cashback site.

Got insurance for Mrs BW. Best price was £138 with £30 cashback. It does take a little time but what you can save makes it a good hourly rate of pay. Pity the club can't get better rates for moderns. I was quoted an extra £300 to add to the Spitfire policy.

I registered and insured the spit in my wife's name to build up a bit of ncd for her because she doesn't have any. Me as a named driver. I think it was £95 or thereabouts with Lancaster. Seemed like a bargain for 0% ncd.