The dreams finally a reality!

Hello Chaps,

I'm Dave and after 10+ plus years of dreaming I finally have my Mk3 Spit!

Drove her 240 miles from Leeds to London last week, top down the whole way with many jumpers on. Unfortunately the gear lever bush disintegrated in the M25 traffic which left me speeding off in reverse at several traffic lights, new ones on its way!

One question though, she only starts when you release the key from the start position, is this normal? It looks like there's no spark while the engines cranking but once the key releases there shines the blue streak on the spark plug.

IMG_20171027_144917.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi  sounds like you have a balasted coil system and the 12v supply on initial ignition position is either missing or disconnected  Have a look at the coil you should have two leads to the positive connection 

Aidan 

Yes there are two  +ve  feeds on a 6v ballasted coil one is from the ìgn switch via a ceramic resistor near the coil or later had a 

Dull white and pink resistive wire in the harness this feeds the coil with 6-8 volts on normalmignition, when you crank you send a feed from

The starter solenoid to boost the 6v back up tom12v whilst cranking, it is this circuit thats failing

From memory it was a yellow and white ??  So you start by catching it as you return the switch to ignition and the turning engine manages to fire 

The wire can be a lucar terminal off the solenoid or a eyelet from the starter feed terminal

Pete

2 hours ago, David Titchner-Popham said:

One question though, she only starts when you release the key from the start position, is this normal? It looks like there's no spark while the engines cranking but once the key releases there shines the blue streak on the spark plug.

No it shouldn't do that!

The previous suggestions are valid if your car has been changed to have a ballasted coil ignition system; but originally the MK3 used a 12v ignition coil system which gives only a single white wire onto the coil.

If you've got a multimeter you might want to check you've got 12v at the ignition coil with the starter switch held in the start position (you'll need an assistant). Failing that a small bulb tester will suffice. Disconnect the white/red wire from the starter solenoid temporarily if you don't want it to turn the engine over while your testing this! BE SAFE!!

Over time, wiring appears to be the subject of many modifications; some good some not so. Might be an idea to check the wires are on the correct terminals of the ignition switch?

Other thoughts

If you have a multimeter check you have a 3 ohm coil (resistance between the +ve and neg terminal) If this is the case and you only have one positive feed then it maybe that that the +ve lead has been wired incorrectly from the fuse box and is on ignition live rather than permanent live. 

This is a bit of a guess tbh 

Aidan

Mine has done this a few times, but not always. Started about the same time as a problem where I turn the key to II and don't get any power at all until I reach under the dash and jiggle the loom.  I'd check all your connections for continuity... That's what I plan to do anyway. 

if its a single white then expect  12v at the coil with points closed and a  3 ohm coil ,  it seems theres a break in the sweep plate inside the switch which 

should bridge the '  ignition  on  ' and crank  terminals.  if its an after  market switch may need a link to co join the two together  so the ignition is still fed when cranking

Pete