Servo vitesse mk1 convertable

Toonstar

probably not what you want to hear but....why are you fitting a servo?

If the brakes are not working well enough, it is a fault somewhere. A vitesse should stop very efficiently without a servo, but worn discs or poor pads, let alone slack wheel bearings or brake hoses that are beyond their best can all take a toll. Also the brake pedal linkages can develop wear. All that should be checked before considering a servo. And then only if there is a specific reason, they do not improve the brakes, only means you don not have to press the pedal as hard.

its generally mounted across the  master cyl between heater

without any clues we fitted ours by shrtening the battery tray, and move it closer to the n/s and fitted the bracket to the bulkhead shelf,

agree it doesnt help the braking but does take the Oh sh1t out of competing with a modern doing something dramatic in front.

mintex 1144 pads mak a worthwhile improvement, had those and servo on the Vit6 and had some yee Haaa braking with a delicate size 9 

for type 16 calipers you need the mintex with imperial calipers on the vitesse  ,  the pad pin size varies from imperial to metrics ( mostly used on later GT6 )

and if  you  search  within here mintex bedding in is a specific proceedure  there's a copy f it lurking in these topics somewhere 

Pete

Fitted a servo to my MK1 Vitesse some years ago just to reduce the pedal force. Fitted it over the master cylinders using existing holes and brakets made from stainless strip. As said make sure the braking system is fine as servo is not to cover faults, I also fitted goodridge hoses at the same time. There is no need to drill the inlet manifold, get some 16mm banjo fittings with take offs to match the smith valve and servo hoses. Then make a banjo bolt from a 5/8 unf bolt and remove the smith valve take of point and use that. The bolt size assumes that your tapping in the manifold is the same as mine so please check.
The above as stated has worked on my car for some years, could always lock the brakes by pushing hard enough but prefer the lighter pedal.
As an aside have always used silicone brake fluid which some members seem to dislike.

post-227-0-77242700-1421069780_thumb.jpg post-227-0-28886800-1421069818_thumb.jpg

Regards

Paul

I can't speak for the Vitesse, as it is an altogether different drive, (due to having the world's heaviest 2-litre engine up front!)

I love the Green stuff pads on my Herald 1500. which runs Vitesse front brakes and master cylinder with type 16P callipers and no servo, and silicone fluid. They do seem to polarise opinion, but I would fit them again, and I have had no concerns with braking on this set-up. I have contemplated a servo, but only because it eliminates the acclimatisation period when hopping from one of my moderns into the Triumph.

Regards

Steve-C

But have you compared greenstuff to other pads? Being honest, vitesse brakes with decent pads will stop a vitesse pretty efficiently (I could lock mine up easily, that was with fairly sticky tyres on a dry road) so a herald would be even easier.

I just don't think the greenstuff are much better than the white box pads, and not a touch on 1144 or asbestos pads. (I happen to have a good supply of asbestos pads for both my triumphs, I buy them whenever I see them, often less than £10 a time)

Yep, I have run (variously) standard Mintex, and Mintex  "fast road" (DS11 equivalent) pads with sintered metal (can't remember the number but they are still in the garage somewhere, that was in my boy racer phase...) but I just prefer Green Stuff, which for me feel nicely progressive, but with enough bite to haul up quickly if the situation demands.  

Yes, they do generate dust, but whenever I take the front wheels off for anything, a quick wipe with a rag and some white spirit easily shifts it. It is always going to be a subjective judgement, and will also depend a lot on tyres and individual driving style, but for me they work. I also have to declare an aversion to asbestos, as thoroughly nasty stuff  which should be consigned to history, along with rickets and bubonic plague, but to each his own!

Best wishes

Steve