Car Painter recommendations!

oliproctor

20 hours ago, ShaunW said:

If I didn't want to 'have a go' I wouldn't have bought a car that needed a good going over.

Pity I can't fit it in the garage. I've been eyeing up the back garden and musing about a poly tunnel spray booth. Dual use... It's a genius idea.  All I need is someone to give me a hand carrying the car on its side down the narrow path at the side of the house :) and back again when it's done in time to plant the tomatoes. 

Paul. You mentioned extraction equipment . Is this because you plant to use 2k.

Paul

2K paint (as in the normal 2K) needs more than just extraction, you MUST have a clean air supply via anair fed mask. As in not just a filtered mask.....

Extraction is useful to keep the area workable. I borrowed an extraction setup. It is a pair of large rad fans built into a sheet of hardboard. Gaffa taped to my garage window....

Runs off a car battery, on constant charge via a hd battery charger. Actually shifts the air pretty well. I still get bits of"stuff" in the paint, despite stapling polythene inside the garage to make a spraybooth. In fact the car that got the least "stuff" in the paint was one I did on my drive. That seemed to be just a few insects, and then the tip is to leave them alone until the paint hardens. Then you remove the bug and have a few microscopic leg dots left.

That brought back some memories Badwolf. My first car was a baby blue Imp. In an attempt to tone it down a bit I painted the interior metalwork with dark blue gloss. It never really ever stopped smelling of turps after that and I'm sure some of the more gummy corners never dried properly.