my new workshop !!!

Pete Lewis

Sensibly, drawers are a cleaner, neater place to keep tools than hanging on the wall.

And over the years, I built up a load of matching nine-drawer boxes to keep small parts in, every size of UNF, 1/4-3/4" used on Triumphs, and then some, plus the same for the Metrics I use for modifications.  Thank goodness I filled the shelf, because you can't get them now, so I expanded with wall mounted, 30-drawer boxes.   LinBins are too big, and being uncovered, attract dirt.  A larger, steel stationary drawer box, A4 sized is useful for larger items, one each for large drills, small frequently used tools such as vernier gauges, tubes of stuff, glue, special greases and bolt locker, precison tools, my micrometers etc and so on. 

Then, shelving, for stored parts, boxes and cases for large tools, and large tools themselves.    I acquired some second hand in Dexion, which is superior to the cheap shelving advertised as it comes in much longer sections, so larger shelving is possible.     Important to protect what's on the shelves, from dirt - a garage/workshop is a dirty, dusty place - and from prying eyes when the doors are open, so I hang a plastic tarpaulin over the front.   Eyelets in the upper rim and coathooks in the frame make a strong, flexible hanging that you can push aside to get at the shelves.

John.

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Halfords have a sale on at the moment, I'm tempted by their red tool cabinets, but a lot of bad reviews regarding pre-delivery damage.  Which suggests they're not as sturdy as they should be, some say the black ones are stronger, they certainly cost more!

I bought some from Halfords that were dented (via a friends son who worked there) about half normal "sale" price. Thought they were good value, and indeed have been great for the past 4 years. Very decent bit of kit.

Yes, the black ones are better, think they are the "industrial" range. Not sure ifthe metal is thicker, but have better drawer mechanisms. Red ones certainly OK though.

I got a 'pro' rolling cabinet from Machine Mart. Best thing I ever bought for the garage. Get the best one they do, with the ball bearing drawers. Brilliant. Buy it on line through a cashback site, then go and collect.. then fill.. and find!! No more rumaging through that old tool box for the spanner that isn't there.

7 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I got a 'pro' rolling cabinet from Machine Mart. Best thing I ever bought for the garage. Get the best one they do, with the ball bearing drawers. Brilliant. Buy it on line through a cashback site, then go and collect.. then fill.. and find!! No more rumaging through that old tool box for the spanner that isn't there.

I bought the cheap ones from them... And I took them back the next day. Terrible. Drawers jammed, flimsy. Spent the same money on ebay  (Sealey American Pro) and they have been a very decent 8/10. For daily use I'd probably like better but fit for my purpose and quite a pleasure to use.  

Looked at the American Pro jobbies on Flea Bay, they look quite substantial, although Halfords black are a bit bigger in the comparative draw configurations. Lets wait for January sales, I have 5 grandchildren to buy for before Christmas, before I get my present.