Return of the tax disc?

dougbgt6

Hello Doug.

It was only a matter of time before it backfired, and it is certainly doing that.

Personally I would like to see a return to the paper disc system, so that others can see if a car is taxed and if not displaying it can be reported to the relevant authorities; as was the case previously. If they do reform the current system, perhaps the powers to be can also have a critical look at the MOT exemption policy and bring that back in to the real world.

Two idiotic ideas that have caused and are causing significant angst to all concerned.

Regards.

Richard.

8 hours ago, classiclife said:

Personally I would like to see a return to the paper disc system, so that others can see if a car is taxed and if not displaying it can be reported to the relevant authorities; as was the case previously. 

Jeez I must remember to keep my nose clean around you or I might get a knock from the Stazi. :blink: I know there's the serious issue of untaxed = uninsured but for a bunch of guys who grew up in the 60s and 70s I detect a distinct lack of rebellion. 

I'm driving my spit 1 mile back home from the garage tomorrow, it hasn't got an MOT cos there's some jobs I need to do first .... Just thought I'd mention it incase anyone wanted to give the Bill a heads-up, but ANPR should get me though so don't worry. 

I'm not having a dig really, it's just my sense of irreverent humour. We're all old enough to have found the moral compass we're comfortable carrying and to have our own opinions. But it's a salient reminder that when you move outside of your usual circle, you need to mind what you say. I'm far too trusting, but to be honest I don't have anything to hide (or do I? ;)) . Even my tax return is squeaky clean but frankly that's only because my trade isn't taxable. 

Note to self : Print out fake tax disc to fool nosey neighbours and to use at club events. 

Shaun, I suggest you wait till next April, then you won't need an MOT. :lol:

When I worked I had a colleague who had 3 cars. He would tax one, photocopy the disk, doctor it and re-photocopy. That's fraud as opposed to oversight, jail time vs a fine, not worth the risk. As you get older you gain experience and get better at evaluating risk. :ph34r: