Gearbox number GP

GeoofT

Indeed, that stamping doesn't look factory. Difficult to explain, but I expect it is a recon at some point.

Looks like  4 cylinder gearbox, is the gearbox rear flange round or squarish? That is a giveaway (squarish is a 3 synchro, round 4 synchro) thogh all od usnits areround outputs. Other tell-tale is bolt head size, 1/2 or 9/16? And what car of course...though that is not a terribly reliable indicator.

Me glasses are working at full magnification however if you look to the right of the G - where it has been overstamped but not totally accurately - you can see what appears to be the side leg of an 'A'. The two horizontal marks to the left of that again may just be over a 'G' with the P clearly added in a clear space to the right and the new numbers overstamped well to the right of where the original number would be. Could it be an overstamped recon GA box?

On 16/11/2017 at 6:55 PM, clive said:

Indeed, that stamping doesn't look factory. Difficult to explain, but I expect it is a recon at some point.

Looks like  4 cylinder gearbox, is the gearbox rear flange round or squarish? That is a giveaway (squarish is a 3 synchro, round 4 synchro) thogh all od usnits areround outputs. Other tell-tale is bolt head size, 1/2 or 9/16? And what car of course...though that is not a terribly reliable indicator.

The car is a 65 herald 1200, with original engine.  Bolts are 1/2 inch. I'll check the rear flange later.  Thanks for your help