Special Tool for lifting leaf spring

Tricky

The Haynes manual has plans for a lifter on page 135, (Ch.8, Rear Axle)  They suggest a solid  1" Hexagonal bar about three foot long and 1/4" steel strip for the brackets - far better and easier to get hold of is 1" square mild steel tube, with  a couple of U-brackets made from strip steel welded on.   Metal easy to get from ebay,  or from local industrial estate scrap bin? Ask first!   While you're there, ask if anyone can weld;  it's worth a couple of drinks but no more.

If you Google for "Triumph Herald spring lifting tool" there are a couple of pics to show you.    Both from past eBay sales, long gone, I fear.

OR, the club will sell you one.

John

PS If you don't have a Haynes - get one!   But ask and I'll post a scan of that page.

John, I'm certain it's in the Haynes manual as I have been flicking through those pages very recently.

Richard - there is one on EBay at the moment: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Herald-Vittesse-Spitfire-GT6-Rear-Spring-Lifter/263336394160?hash=item3d50127db0:g:aUwAAOSwa0VaFBWv

The seller has a number of Triumph related tools so perhaps a deal on postage; or he / she may be a club member - worth an enquiry I feel !!

I think the seller is in Sandy, Bedfordshire.

Regards.

Richard.

You only need one if you have a rotaflex set up

You can simply jack or hand lift with a few shreaded wheat  for breaky but on rotaflex you are heaving spring and flex coupling 

Tensions and its a very different game you wont do it without a fairly stout lifting bar , and even that may need a jack to apply the lift

Unless you have rent a crowd to help out.

Richard,  Found it!  Went back and revised my post.   It's in the "Rear Axle" chapter, not "Suspension".

Clive, if you are concerned that your weld will fail, turn up the heat!   Penetration is all.

Pete, yes, strictly for Rotaflex, but useful for the other style.   And so easy to make.    Hmmmmmmmmm, I've got some spare 1" square tube!   Tricky, I could make you one: postage might be more than the Club that will have contracts, will charge.

John

42 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

amazing what the jungle drums awaken

welcome to the club ,  

we have one but scotlands a bit toooo   far to  get doug and I out as postman pat .

Pete

Sounds like a nice Spring Run to me.....

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Clive, if you are concerned that your weld will fail, turn up the heat!   Penetration is all.

No concerns aboutwelds. But I like failsafe stuff. And I can see no advantage in the brackets being under the bar rather than on top. Except it will save 2" of steel. Maybe things were that tight?

Scaffold pole makes a good bar, but space does get tight to lift the spring enough. and a longer than specced in the manual bar is nicer to use, as long as you have space around the car.

IMHO, the spring will sit better on the flat surface of the bracket, rather than on the bar. 

The original plans suggest 1" hexagonal bar (and 1/4" strip for the brackets) both making me think that the designer trained on battleships,.    The bracket will present about 3" to the spring, the bar 1/3".

And if you are concnered that your welds will fail, you aren't welding properly. Turn up the heat!  Penetration is all!

• 2 months later...

It`s an awful lot of years ago. 30plus,  but I am sure I managed without, on a `66 Vittesse, seem to remember I used 2 or 3 bottle jacks.? In various places. Just reassembled my 13/60 but that is on a  home made rotator, suspended in air.

IMG_5693.JPG

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Tricky,   Just to clear up       is this for a rotorflex ??    Its just not needed for any other design

Pete

20 minutes ago, Mjit said:

I've never needed one on my non-rotoflex Spitfire and the springs been in and out a number of times.  Getting the spring and lowering block both in place and all the holes lined up through to the diff. is the hard part!

Yes it is rotoflex - see earlier post. 

Mmmmmmm.

In fairness to Pete, I have looked through this thread from start to finish a few times and the only reference I can see confirming Rotoflex is the one you posted previous to this.

1 hour ago, classiclife said:

Mmmmmmm.

In fairness to Pete, I have looked through this thread from start to finish a few times and the only reference I can see confirming Rotoflex is the one you posted previous to this.

Yes sorry wasn’t meaning to have a dig....