why not join the club

Pete Lewis

I put this in Lounge as its just a  view from where I try to help

This forum is  open to join and being a club member is not essential ??  , there are many here who offer help to anyone and good that we do

It is a shame when you find youre offering club comradeship,  support and personal experiences to help many and find they never join the club

The club has a larger membership than many clubs but does need members to support its survival

So if you are  undecided how about you put joining on your christmas wish list, give it a try, you could be amazed!!

Eg.  Doug and I drove all the way to Guildford to help and only found after we suceeded he was not a club member , its not something you want to ask but it makes you mutter a bit on the way home

Just some pre christmas ramblings 

Pete 

40 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Eg.  Doug and I drove all the way to Guildford to help and only found after we suceeded he was not a club member , its not something you want to ask but it makes you mutter a bit on the way home

I get owners calling at the house all the time, usually starting with "Are you the Triumph man?" and then explaining they got my details from the 'Club magazine.' It's only after a lot of work, spare parts or discussion has passed that I'll get the admission "I'm not actually a club member, I just borrowed an old copy." I don't think I'd ever refuse to help anyone regardless of club membership, but it's interesting to see how many new owners track me down, get help with their cars, then let membership lapse as they don't feel they're getting anything from membership that they can't get just by asking other owners at shows or calling with them locally. I doubt I could turn them down. I must admit to calling on mates from Club Triumph or Triumph Club NI when I see them at shows or on runs, but am not a member of either... (It's not just Triumphs, in the last week there's been a Suzuki and a LandRover Defender in bits on my drive; not surprising when you see garage prices these days!)

I’m a club member and try and use the club shop when I can. Bought some stuff the other day as it happens. 

As for asking for advice of anyone - or giving what limited help I can - I certainly wouldn’t expect any help under false pretences and would be a bit pissed if someone asked for help if they gave the impression they were in the club. 

I dunno, I would be annoyed by deception, but there are three people who are regulars at one of our area meetings who aren't in the club, they have heritage vehicles, but not Triumphs. They like to talk with other enthusiasts and drink beer, but there's little point in them being in the TSSC.

However, for people with a Triumph, apart from the Courier, the area meetings, the beer,  the lure of the club shop discount should be large, we don't promote it like we should. Every thing I've bought there, and it's been a lot of stuff, has been quality and generally the cheapest deal around.

The only way we have of defending our rights as Classic Car owners is if we have a club(s) to represent a group of peoples with common interests. Doesn't always work, but without the club(s) a steamroller would probably go over all our interests.

I have found the TSSC is a friendly club and is not run as a corporate business, even if Doug and Pete turn up on your doorstep if you forget to pay the yearly sub! 

Dave    

I joined the club on buying my GT6.  I have not used club valuation or insurance but purchased a few items from the club shop.  The value from my subscription has been the wealth of knowledge and advice offered by Pete and many other members to my never ending list of mechanical queries.   Thanks to all !

I agree with Qu1ckn1ck about the wealth of knowledge. What's more you would pay a fortune to book a double act as good as Doug and Pete (should that be Pete and Doug). Without them I would always be in the situation of (apologies to Eric & Ernie)... putting all the right nuts and bolts back, but not neccessarily in the right order.

It's what's called a 'loss leader" something you offer, that you know will not make a profit, but hope will recruit new customers, who you hope will stay and buy more products  at normal prices.   In marketing, the ebst loss leaders are perishables, as the customer can't buy a gross of eggs, and hoard them.  They must come back and buy again.     Advice has to be a perishable.    Your customer may now know how to mend his car's swingletree, but something else will go wrong and they'll be back, if the advice was good value last time.

Retailers use the Loss leader to 'catch' the customer and then sell them a better model, which is at a normal price.   So I'd say, advise away!  No harm in saying they should join, just as the customer loaded with bargain milk will be offered a loyalty card, and offer the advanatges of memebership like the Courier , CLM and Club Shop.

JOhn

Actually, I'm a member (On the committee and admin!) of the Disco3Club as I used to have one (And used it properly!) and do know a lot about them and am more than happy to give my knowledge to anyone who asks. It's largely moved to Facebook, which is a shame, because the same bloody questions get asked almost daily because they disappear in the crap that get spouted - one reason why I like forums - at least you can find what you posted and searches are much better!

1 hour ago, Bordfunker said:

It strikes me as a bit cheeky to join the forum, get all that good advice and banter, and not join the club.

When the old website & forum died and the new ones eventually came along, the membership in the main wanted the forum opened up to  everyone, just like the CT forum is.

I’m the North Devon AO and we encourage non-members to attend, we have picked up a few members that way, but it’s a double edged sword.

Darren

Ok so suitably scared by the prospect of a visit from John and Pete, I’ve joined this week !  I’ve been really impressed by all the help received already on my not-yet-started GT6 restoration.

I’ve bought a half built project from a guy in England whose name I’ll not mention as you may all know him, and I’m going to take it back a couple of stages as he’s gone too far ahead with reassembly before sorting out the very rusty body in my humble opinion. It’s got a new engine and the chassis and suspension is already pretty well done.  I’ve just bought a load of stuff from the shop too.  I’m already a member of the Stag Owner’s Club which has similarly got a bunch of really helpful members on their forum - it’s completely invaluable for relative amateurs like me.

Here’s a couple of wee pictures just to let you see what stage I’m at....

I’m looking for someone with a Mk3 GT6 in Central Scotland who wouldn’t mind me popping round to take a few pictures of where everything goes.  I found this really useful when I built my Stag previously. Any offers ?!

3DC9577F-DE29-496E-A1EA-5DED04368D3F.jpeg

F3F5D33A-9732-4290-A5EE-9D979AD63C58.jpeg

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

So, John, you callin' me and Pete loss leaders? I think Pete will be adding you to his visitation list, member or not.

I'll be perfectly happy to receive a visit from two such excellent "sales executives" for the Club!

Although if you want to get philosophical, the clubs gurus are the product, not the salesforce!

JOhn