Clutch slave cylinder seal change?

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I'm seeking an opinion about the necessity/value of changing the seal on my Mk3 GT6 clutch slave cylinder. I've changed the clutch and now need to decide whether or not to change the cylinder seal. The existing seal didn't leak before I removed the cylinder but both the Haynes manual and the Canley "clutch" web-page recommend changing the seal as a matter of course. The Buckeye Triumph web-site on the other hand advises leaving well alone, the argument being that a replacement seal of uncertain provenance is more likely to fail than the old one presently in-situ.   

Any suggestions as to the best course of action will be gratefully received.

Wayne (definitely a club member) 

Six of one, and half a dozen of the other.... I'd say replace with the best quality seal you can get - look for an older OE kit. Having said that, the kit could be thirty years old and not necessarily the best any more... but I'd still replace with a good quality modern, provided we can work out which is the best quality these days.

I've taken a rather iffy picture to try to show the bore of the slave cylinder. As you can see (I hope) there is quite a lot of scoring and there is a very definite "lip" in the bore at the point of furthest travel of the piston. I think I'll be looking for a new 1" Girling slave rather than trying a new seal.

Wayne

IMG_1350.JPG