Stromberg 150 CDSE Float Chamber

Mike T

Hi

I am overhauling the carbs on my GT6 and I have a question regarding what looks like a missing part in the float chamber. Please see photo and next to main jet is a hole where there should be a short length of brass tube. This is missing on one of the carbs but present on the other. Pictures I have seen of other carbs suggest the tube should be there but I'm not sure what it's function is and hence what problems are caused by it not being there. The car was running OK when I took the carbs off.

Can anyone tell me what the tube is for and should it be present on not. It looks like it is linked into the choke mechanism and it is missing on the carb which is not connected to the choke cable.

Many thanks

Mike

Float chamber 2.jpg

Hello Mike.

I cannot be 100% certain, although I know Pete should be able to confirm, but I think your carbs work on one choke only, as such only one tube would be present. 

So, in essence the carb looks okay and correct with the "piece" missing.

Regards.

Richard.

I agree with Richard  no choke....no tube  only one has the pick up tube 

And for good clues about all, sorts the carb basics are worth a read

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

If you have temperature compensators on the sides its more important they are closed than any other setting 

You dont want them bypassing at normal temperatures or you never set the mixture

Pete 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have finished the refurb of the carbs (I think) however I have some parts left in the overhaul kit and in particular there are 2 small brass washer like parts. I don't think they are washers but I have no idea what they are and I could not see anything similar on the actual carburettors. They have a bevelled inner face on one side, flat on the other as if something seats in them. Any idea what they are/ what they do/ where they fit?

Picture below

Thanks Mike

Carb parts.JPG

Mike.

These look to be seating washers as shown in the kit photo I have attached. I believe they are integral to the brass components that are to their left.

If that is not the case they may be seating washers for jets on the early CD type carbs which of course you do not have and are superfluous to your requirements. 

The following link from Burlen (with thanks) may prove useful: http://zenithcarb.co.uk/zencdsecd2/?___store=zenith

Regards.

Richard.

Service Kit - 150 CDSE + CDSEVX Carb.jpg

Mike.

I think the fact you have not been able to ID these on your carbs and you have probably checked until your eyes popped, it does suggest they are items for another Stromberg type (CD) and not the CDSE.

It might be worth giving Burlen a buzz just to confirm and perhaps you can report back here as to what they are and their placement ?? 

Burlen - 01722.412.500

Many thanks.

Richard. 

I spoke to Burlen and the guy I spoke with didn't know exactly what they were for but suggested that they were probably off another version of the CD 150 as the kits they make cover several models and so you always end up with surplus parts.
Doesn't help a lot but I think I'm pretty confident they aren't from a CDSE.

Mike

I'm surprised at Burlen, Mike - makes me think you may not have been speaking with the right chap with the correct depth of knowledge.

That said it's academic, as you are pretty confident that it is not CDSE relevant.

Regards.

Richard.

On 18/12/2017 at 9:26 AM, Pete Lewis said:

The kits are very 'universal' and often have parts included not related exactly to the unit you have 

Will, try to make a non guess at the use of the cup washers later , 

Bit late getting going this morning?...  the effect of    to many christmas dinners 

Pete

full circle    Ha !    christmas cometh  then it goeth

pete