1200 Herald Carburettor upgrade

Bob Angell

Can I replace a Solex Carburettor on my 1200 Herald with a single SU or Stromberg carb and what do I need in parts?  I realise that the Solex is a down draught so is there a modification part to convert for the side draught  SU or Stromberg or do I require a new manifold?

Many thanks. Bob Angell

Thank you Pete.

I am not looking for increased performance but just to make it run smoother.  The Solex carb had been butchered by previous owner(s) who had badly warped the flange by overtightening the flange bolts causing a 2mm curve.  I refaced it but there is loss of power at revs and I think the carb is past its sell by date, although I have put in new jets etc.

Regards,  Bob

I used the 1200 Solex to Stromberg adaptor for almost a year, running a Stromberg on a 6J needle with no problems. I only stopped as I'd dismantled the car...

Twin carb manifolds come up all the time, the Alexander version is nice for the twin 1.25 Strombergs but some of them require a bit more tweaking of other components to get the best out of them.

Thank you for your reply Colin.

I am hoping to use a single carburettor as opposed to twin. As I have problems with the existing Solex I thought it an ideal opportunity to 'upgrade' to a better carb. My Solex had been over tightened on the flange causing a 2mm gap between the flange and manifold. I refaced it but it still let's air in.  The adjustment needle is also poor. My other choice is an SU. 

Many thanks.

Bob

Bob.

If the Solex is a down draft, perhaps you might be better looking for a Weber carb which in most cases has an identical footprint to the inlet manifold.

Something along the lines of a 28/36.

Regards.

Richard.

Webers can be expensive and hard to find, plus the manifold can be even harder to locate for any kind of reasonable money. I got a Weber carb (allegedly for a Herald) a few years back on eBay and amazingly enough a manifold came up a few weeks later. I'm still debating whether or not they'll be wasted on my 1200. I also managed to find an uncut blank for a Solex manifold which appears to mount the Weber carb in the same position as the Solex on the original cast-iron manifold.

I was also intending to experiment with a SU carb from a Morris Minor which has a horizontal float chamber but a tilted body to suit the Solex mount / adaptor.

DSCF4907.jpg.5655970336d2629d416ba6be5783b9b6.jpg

DSCF1805.jpg.1b4ebca62a8536d0e3ee67cc57c1bb69.jpg

DSCF4923.jpg.25136a865969980e3c9da467fa3bc615.jpg

Colin.

My experience of Weber carbs has always been positive and they are certainly light years ahead of their Solex counterpart. Spares are more plentiful and the tuning range is excellent; in addition a twin choke is far more manageable to tune than a pair of carbs - especially as you automatically eliminate the connecting apparatus normally associated with twin carbs.

Out of interest what model is the Weber you have ??

Regards.

Richard.

Sorry for the delay, had to go dig it out....

Its a type 36DCOE.

I meant that original period Webers are hard to find and quite sought after, new ones are a different matter. I'll experiment with this one once I have an actual Herald up and running, which will be on the original Solex as a base point to start with.