Water Pump Totally fine or Replace

AidanT

Morning All

I would like comments please on the attached video (hopefully)  Took off the water pump yesterday mainly to find out if its veins were coked in limescale from the PO and all my work in removing limescale some whil ago had managed to do its job.

As it turns out its as clean as a whistle!  however to me it does sound like a bag of nails! but having nothing to compare it with, I thought it best to ask here as no doubt you will know more.

anyway  - have a look and listen and let me know  -REFIT OR REPLACE

Thanks all

Aidan

BTW its a lot easier to load files now! just drag and drop Great!

Water pump.mp4

Aidan.

Replacement is the only choice.

When you get to the stage of filling the cooling system, ensure you use distilled water rather than tap water; the former is far softer and will not contain the elements that accelerate corrosion within the system. A 33%-50% mixture of anti-freeze or other corrosion inhibitor will keep your system in top form.

Regards.

Richard.

So a new water pump then! Thought so

As for fluid I've been using 4life from the club. Not had any problems with this and judging by the inside of the pump housing and the residue in the radiator  everything is pretty clean inside

Cheers 

Aidan

Guys,

do you know how these pumps come apart? I would like to take the old one to bits for a better understanding  - but don't have much clue as to how to start  WSM doesn't really help that much, do I need to use a puller? and if so which end do I start?

Thx

Aidan

Aidan.

Amongst my classic vehicle library I do have an article from another car club magazine that not only shows a dismantled pump but (I think) also its refurb.

I will have look this evening and see if I can locate it, should that be of interest to you ??

Regards.

Richard.

I found this series a little while ago whilst looking into rebuilding a pump:

1.  https://www.madbrits.org/Tech-h2opump1.htm
  2. https://www.madbrits.org/Tech-h2opump2.htm
  3. https://www.madbrits.org/Tech-h2opump3.htm

Definitely an interesting series of articles, but decided to just take my chances with repro water pumps instead...

• Like 1

Aidan.

JF's three part pump rebuild is far more comprehensive than my article I would say, so I cannot trump that.

JF - well done for posting that, very informative and interesting.

Regards.

Richard.

10 hours ago, AidanT said:

Guys,

do you know how these pumps come apart? I would like to take the old one to bits for a better understanding  - but don't have much clue as to how to start  WSM doesn't really help that much, do I need to use a puller? and if so which end do I start?

Thx

Aidan

If your pump has a nut on the pulley you can dismantle them; if it hasn't, it's 'solid state' as they used to say. I rebuilt one a while ago, located the bearings and the rubber bellows, and dismantled the entire unit - you have to melt the solder on the impeller to remove it and when replacing it set the proper distance from the body with feelers before resoldering it. They're nice, the impeller is all brass in the old units, but it's a lot of work to refurbish one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If your pump has a nut on the pulley you can dismantle them; if it hasn't, it's 'solid state' as they used to say. I rebuilt one a while ago, located the bearings and the rubber bellows, and dismantled the entire unit - you have to melt the solder on the impeller to remove it and when replacing it set the proper distance from the body with feelers before resoldering it. They're nice, the impeller is all brass in the old units, but it's a lot of work to refurbish one.

Colin,

I'm now intrigued about rebuilding my old pump - I've bought a press recently and fancy giving it a go if I can get the parts. My old pump was a brass impeller one, nicely made as you say. I've noticed that Canley's sell the seal, but would you happen to still have information about the bearings etc.?