Water Pump Totally fine or Replace

AidanT

If Canleys sell seals then that's a big help; I was wished 'all the best with your search' when I enquired a few years back; it took me 20 minutes on the Internet to locate a supplier and I was quite proud it took me so short a time!

I'll be out in the garage in a short while so will post bearing serial numbers if I can find them - they were modern replacements based on the original code numbers.

Ok been out to the garage to check details: the bearings are Hoffman N2897 V2; I'll post a photo in case it's needed for reference.

Have you checked which seal Canleys sell? I've found three different types; the one to the right is the one that was originally fitted but I've found a close replacement (left) part number 148322 and a taller spring-loaded version (centre) which has a Unipart number S4321 D1.DSCF5106.jpg.8628cd956d9d81d26b36b89ac9abffd2.jpgDSCF5096.jpg.a726b5964efb3d92802d546d6edf8a26.jpg

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the continued thread hijack ;)

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Ok been out to the garage to check details: the bearings are Hoffman N2897 V2; I'll post a photo in case it's needed for reference.

Have you checked which seal Canleys sell? I've found three different types; the one to the right is the one that was originally fitted but I've found a close replacement (left) part number 148322 and a taller spring-loaded version (centre) which has a Unipart number S4321 D1.

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm not entirely sure what Canley's sell - 100858? Yet they list 148322 as NLA. However, Paddock's etc. have 148322 which Canley's, Revington and Mick Dolphin list as "compatible/interchangeable" with 100858.

Bearings wise, Timken's interchange list says 8016 (maybe), but these are expensive and look a little odd:
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p152773/8016-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearing-with-Extended-Inner-Ring-Felt-Front-Seal-No-Back-Seal-16x35x12.7mm/product_info.html

I need to take mine apart and assess it before ordering the parts, I have a feeling the shaft may be damaged.

They may fit on the shaft, it's only a simple bar anyway with nothing between the bearings, but that side projection may not allow it to fit in the proper position. At present I don't see why not, but you'd need to check just to be sure... I feel another freezing cold trip outside to check coming on.... 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all, I’ve got a similar query to the OP. Ive just noticed a slight leak around the bottom bolt on my water pump (Gt6 mk3). There is no sign of any coolant leaking through the weep hole (which happened with the last 2 short lived water pumps that have been on the car!) Is the pump going to need replacing or is this more likely to be a problem with the fixing itself? The bolt is tight already so I’m not sure whether I’d need to use some sealant around it?

Many thanks!

Ant

The water pump housing is drilled through to the wet side , hence they use studs to secucure the  pump to the housing

And yes a smear of sealer or thread sealant on the  housing end of the stud threads is required   or they can weep

roll  the stud in some loctite 574 or similar is excellent stuff before fitting the studs.

A copper washer might just retrieve a leaker 

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just as a quick update it turned out that the water pump was failing. When I applied the thread sealant water started escaping out of the weep hole instead of the stud. New pump has now covered 1300 miles inc LM classic and back with no leaks! Thanks again for the advice ?