Spitfire Thermostat housing, help needed

Gnbickley

Evening Gentlemen,

Well I'm not going to jinx things but at present the Spit is back together :D and there doesn't seem to be any coolant where it shouldn't be (apart from all the stuff I spilt over the course of this repair)

The pipe came out of the housing pretty cleanly and went back together pretty well so fingers crossed it holds over night.

Next step is a test drive tomorrow once I'm certain there's been no leakage over night.

The hardest thing today has been putting the bloody seats back in, I could not get the damned bolts to go through the carpet and into the holes spent over an hour but finally got them in so ready for a test tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Gary

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

mind you don't get any carpet jammed in the bolt or the captive nut threads it can lock/sieze it up solid so you cannot tighten or undo the bolt. I usually get an old soldering iron or piece of pipe heat them up and burn singe the carpet back local to the bolt holes.

I had a top of the range Mits Verada  here in Aus and mounting a grandkids rear seat anchor on the back shelf got it seized with carpet it tore the anchored bolt out!

regards

Peter T

Well Gentlemen,

After extensive test driving over the last two weeks I'm certain that the new housing doesn't leak that all the hoses are sound and that the water pump is still in working order :D

However I'm also equally certain that all this hard work and the initial replacement of the thermostat and temp sender has made not a blind bit of difference to the reading on the Temp gauge nor has it produced any warm air coming out of the heater vents :angry:

I suppose the next step is to go back and triple check the voltage stabiliser for the gauge. Not a clue what to do next about the heating though.

If the stabilser is working and  the thermostat is an 82c  if someone has fitted a non stabilised temp sender you get some wildy wrong gauge readings  it should be a GTR108

As for heater , suggest the heater valve is  blocked or failed and not allowing a full flow , likewise  clogged matrix wont help

Pete