Trying to find the owner of SWE 86L

Paulfc

Richard, 

Thanks for responding. I'm a third party. I'm trying, independently, to find someone who has used a particular restorer and am struggling to date. According to their web site this car was one they have done a lot of work on. As I'm looking to spend several £ks I thought it would be good to talk to the owner. Previously I've posted a direct request on the Forum for info on the business but got zero responses.

Paul

Hello Paul.

That all makes sense.

Have you considered speaking with TSSC & CT members or failing that that the AO who meet monthly within the catchment area of this garage ?? Not all TSSC / CT members are Forum users; so there may well be knowledge but the enquiry has not been picked up previously. 

As new members join the Forum all the time it will be worth naming the garage again to increase your chance of a "hit".

I agree with Aidan, any garage proud of their work should be proud to show it off.

Regards.

Richard.

Many thanks to all for your responses.

Aidan, I can and  I probably will ask, however, I've had several discussions with the restorer and nothing has been forthcoming. It may be me but then it may not. Hence me trying to dig around for info.

Doug, as you say it's "interesting reading".

Richard, I've not been a member long but have attended a couple of Area meets and several local shows over the summer and spoken to a number of members and non members. Not only have I not been able turn up anything on the car but neither have any of the folk I've spoken to heard of the restorer. That said, the guy appears to run a successful business, there's a full website but why can't I find more by of testimonials? Have a look "Southside Custom and Classic".

Clearly I can make the direct approach and ask the direct questions,  just a bit puzzled by the lack of information in these digital times.

Paul

• 2 years later...

Paul,

I bought this very car 3 weeks ago, in Norfolk & only joined the club 2 weeks ago, and the forum 2 days ago.
It has been red and green in the past, but it is definitely grey now. The guy I got it from bought it in the Liverpool area in 2015, and there are receipts for extensive welding work in 2013 that the previous owner had done. There was more extensive work done to the floor pan in 2016. I have numerous receipts which I can check, but I am not at home until the weekend, so it’ll have to wait till then. 
I had been looking for a while, but bought it at short notice while holidaying in Norfolk. I live in Aberdeen, 530 miles away, and drove the car home with no problems aside from a couple of overheating threats when stuck in traffic. It is in need of some TLC, which I intend to give it, but all in all I think it is a pretty solid car. 
I can update further as I find out more about it

Peter

C0FEF562-0A9F-4CEB-B888-110EF2EF468D.jpeg

5687BE6C-6382-415F-816F-4D433D517965.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pbruce9393 said:

It has been red and green in the past, but it is definitely grey now.

And a very nice shade of it too!! Do you know what the actual colour is?

My own GT6 was originally Valencia blue with a tan interior, when I bought it it was red, but not Signal Red, with a black interior, it's now definitely Signal Red but when the bodywork was being repaired and prepared for painting we found it had been both white and green at some stage. It happens! (13 owners between 1977 and 2000 so not surprising...)

Do you know what the actual colour is?

Colin,

Yes - it is not a Triumph colour. It is Lotus carbon grey, code B137. I think it was green before the grey, and red before that, as can be seen in the engine bay ( lot of red in the spare wheel compartment also).
It now has a red interior, with black carpets.
I hope that was done after the grey respray, as it would have been hideous with a green car ! 
Peter

48725FDE-C10F-44F7-86B5-5E2C5D77FB6C.thumb.jpeg.487085155d63c00b5989d98555c8d87b.jpeg

363F0089-EFD7-445B-A710-708C77581B97.thumb.jpeg.39b67b4fed9215963742798342404bb3.jpeg

Peter,

Wow! The power and reach of the Forum! Thanks for replying. To be honest I’d forgotten all about the post and had to track back to recall why I’d made the initial post.
At the time I was looking for someone to undertake restoration work on my GT6.
While doing some due diligence on an outfit very near to me, Southside Custom and Classic, your car was on their website, and still is. Having asked around people I know locally who are part of the classic  car scene, I couldn’t find anyone who had any first hand knowledge of them and so I made the post on the forum in the hope of finding the owner and getting background on the work they’d done. As it turned out, having agreed a scope of work and the price, they just dropped me and never communicated with me again or responded to my calls. I’m sure they picked up more lucrative/simpler work and I still don’t know anyone who has used them.

Anyway, your 6 looks great and you’re a braver man then me to undertake a 500+ mile first journey. Enjoy it! 

Thanks,

Paul