FOR LIFE COOLANT

sulzerman

38 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Back circa 1965  ish, there where not too many digital anything's. Transistors where a relatively new invention!. Even my Radio was a Valve Set. Hallicrafter, quite expensive American AC and DC job!. As 3rd Engineer on a tramp steamer. I was given the "AVO" in a leather case and told to get on with it. 110V DC power from 3x2 stage Steam reciprocating power plants. Chiefy and I came up with the idea of the salinometer as a way of keeping tabs on the Salinity. So we watch-keepers could blow down the two steam boilers only when absolutely necessary, as doing it too often wasted fuel oil. Sacrificial anodes are a way of life in marine practice, without them the Propeller(s) will turn into a lace curtain in short order.

Hi PeterH

AVO MK8 I used at college. Useful if you could calculate the Ohms/Volt load the meter was shunting. Saw my first digital AVO around the same time. We always preferred the digital as the reading was more "true". AVO was fun to bounce the needle to get the trip to pop up.

Anodes will not work out of water of course, but going to buy some Zn or Mg ones for the four corners. They always rust, so plenty of water there!

Cheers,

Iain.

Iain,

I have an AVO 8, I'm currently stalking Ebay in search of a leather carrying case. On that program where the woman takes stuff off people at the dump and turns it into "art" She got an AVO. She turned it into a lamp! :angry: Sacrilege!!! 

Doug

• 8 months later...

Wish I had read this thread earlier today... I have just replaced the coolant mix in my Triumph 2500S with Water:Silicates-free OAT (33%).  It would have had blue coolant in before the change.  I emptied the system, refilled with clean water and proprietory cooling system flush, ran for 10 mins, emptied, flushed with another 10 litres of water (did not run the engine this time, but it looked pretty clean water emerging) and then filled with the water:OAT.  Should I swallow my pride and empty it out, flush again (many times!) and then replace with water:blue coolant?

• 3 months later...

Getting back to the original question 😁, Evans ia a waterless coolant, 4Life is not - it is water based. I have used 4Life in my MGB V8 for many years with complete success. These cars get extremely hot under the bonnet, so it is comforting to know that the coolant won't boil until above 180 celsius. Stuck in traffic in France with the air temp above 35 degrees, the car's temp gauge went off the scale but the car didn't boil.

The red colour is an indicator, so not only is it easy to spot any slight weeping anywhere, but if it turns yellow you know you have acid contamination, probably caused by head gasket failure. I like it.