TriumFest 2018 - At Shelsley Walsh for the Classic Nostalgia

Jane

Excellent! I've been looking for an excuse to go to Shelsley Walsh for a while. A group of us (not a classics run) went to Chateau Impney Hillclimb last year and it was a fabulous day out - really family friendly. Hopefully this will be too.

Gully 

• 1 month later...

I can't be 100%, but it looks like the hillclimb that weekend is part of a competitive series. As such, the answer is no.

However, they may, just may, arrange some slots for Joe Public to have a go. A "parade" up the hill holds no appeal to me, but the chance to exercise the engine properly does. So I too really want to know, it will make the difference between going or not (fickle I know, but it needs that "extra" to make it worthwhile)

When the Triumph Day went to Prescott Hill Climb, the arrangement was for untimed runs up the hill.     This made it "non-competitive", and allowed drivers to choose individually if they would parade up, or really go for it.   

"Parade runs"?   No thanks!     I'd welcome the opportunity to make my own decision, but not to follow a load of mimsers.

And what is this "full weekend of motorsport" that you bill as part of Triumpfest, if not Triumphs going up the hill?   The bumph about it from the Club only says:

" Celebrate the Golden Age of Motorsport, Full Two Day Itinerary of Motorsport & Motoring Fun, Famous Drivers - Trade Stands - Live Music - Period Dress welcomed! TSSC Triumph Hill Cavalcades on Sat Evening, TriumFest Show & Shine (Sat) - Concours d’elegance (Sunday)"   Fun, indeed.  Oh, yus.

So how can Triumpheros get a run up the Hill?    The TR Hillclimb series isn't there that date, unless some are invited to demonstrate.   What cars are competing?

John

Ok, Due diligence, but I feel I'm doing the work that the TSSC should be doing to publicise the event.

The webpage for "Classic Nostalgia" at Shelsea Walsh http://www.shelsleywalsh.com/classic-nostalgia-2017/ is curiously and worryingly empty about the 2018 event.

Last year, http://www.shelsleywalsh.com/event/classic-nostalgia/ The Revington TR / TR Register Sprint and Hillclimb Championship took part, together with 

• Austin Healey Club Healeysport Speed Championship
  • Bert Hadley Memorial Championship
  • BOC Aldon Automotive Classic Speed Championship
  • HRCR Speed
  • Volvo Owners Club Championship
  • and the 500 Association

The TRR Series lists the 28/29th as a non-Championship event on their 2018 programme http://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2017/12/0118/The-Revington-TR-TR-Register-Sprint-and-Hillclimb-Championship-Provisional-Schedule-of-Events-2018 so I hope as many as possible will turn up, when they won't earn points.

JOhn

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

"Parade runs"?   No thanks!     I'd welcome the opportunity to make my own decision, but not to follow a load of mimsers.

Thanks, John. I always thought this club was for all types to enjoy their cars. I've no interest whatsoever in motorsport, and would have no intention of driving up a hill just to say I'd done it, but I think the idea of our area bringing a group over has just been killed. It's obviously not for us.

I think we all need to wake up and smell the coffee !

we the Tssc are tagging out Triumfest event onto the classic Nostalgia weekend,  the main event is NOT ours ,we have no say in what goes on when.

we have arranged for Triumph owners to have the opportunity to go up the hill in  cavalcade /convoy/procession whatever you want to call it, giving the majority of our membership the chance to see what the hill climb is like but not competitively.

The biggest problem is what goes up the hill has to come down the same way.

If you want to try the hill climb why not call Shelsey Walsh and register your car.

John D you manage to go to classic Le man and not drive round the track competitively !

The Halcyon days of Tssc renting big venues and being in control of what happens are over we cannot run events at a 20k loss anymore.

Com are working tirelessly to put events on new and old ,it is of upmost importance to balance the books as well as offering the membership the best value for money we can and keeping things fresh

Shelsey walsh's classic nostalgia weekend seems to offer the majority of our membership a great weekend and that is surely what it is all about.

Chris 

I get the impression it is a "mini" Goodwood revival type of thing, so should appeal to a great many. 

However, it is also squashed in the calendar with CLM and the Silverstone Classic, and that is nobodies fault. So the extra weekend, for me, is unlikely to work out. I would have made an extra effort if it offered the opportunity to drive the hill (as opposed to parade, which again suits many) like the STMD a few years ago, as that sort of thing particularly appeals. However, Chris is correct. As John holds a race licence, he is eligible to actually enter the weekends competitive event, giving Triumphers a chance to see at least one of "our" cars taking part. Sadly, I don't have a race licence, (pockets are not deep enough) so that option is not open to me. Ho hum.

Colin, I doubt it will be a show that is big on autojumble, more likely "retro stuff" like is sold at the big events? But don't discount it. Even if Motorsport is not your bag, having the noises and smells of classic/vintage cars competing, one at a time, is enthralling. And remember, it is usually motorsport that pushes car development along (these days it is a test bed for future tech) so as well as seeing a variety "cutting edge" classic cars, you will see a wide range of vehicles that don't often get wheeled out. People who like these events often have very interesting vehicles...

Chris,

No, of course I haven't driven Le Mans in competition.   Entry fees start at about £9K.

And I've learnt my lesson in the CLM parade.    As shown 

I did my best, but the attitude of certain non-Triumph marques  - Cobra replicas who brake tested me - told me that people don't like being overtaken, and a hillclimb course is no place for overtaking! 

There is a bit more to getting a run up the hill, apart from holding a race licence.     Membership of a participating club, and registration in the appropriate series are necessary too.     I'm an occasional hill-climber at Barbon, because that has a very open entry scheme, ad is my 'local' but others aren't as easy.

As I said above, the event at Prescott was especially good as it allowed Triumpheros to ascend that hill individulaly and at their own speed, allowing everyone to enjoy it in their own way.      There were 'paraders' as well as hot shoes, and a good time was had by all.

I'll enquire of Shelsey if they will accept 'wild card' entries.

John

8 hours ago, John Bonnett said:

A non--race National B licence is only £45 Clive. Not a huge outlay to make a start in competitive motorsport. You know you want to! :)

Ah, nice idea , the licence is only £45, however it is all the kit you have to buy in order to compete.....I reckon about £1k or probably more. Then there are the event fees, not to mention my car is not exactly built to fit any regs at all!

One day I may, just may, consider something like the TR sprint/hillclimb series, but even that will require some serious outlay.....

For now I will stick to the odd trackday and some club level road rallying. Nice and relaxed, no grief etc or indeed, many special "requirements" Plus I really quite enjoy them, and they are cheap enough to not cause grief at home. I have booked into Silverstone for a trackday, full day on the GP circuit for (what I regard) a bargain £205. Via the MGoT group. Go on John, you have a very suitable car!

You are right course Clive, race suit boots, gloves and helmet are expensive so yes £1k to get your car on the line is not unreasonable. But everything stays in date for a few years so the annual cost is perhaps not much different from the cost of a track day. 

Unfortunately, I've started to suffer from motion sickness so I doubt I'll be able to explore the limits of the V8 on the track. I could manage a hill climb or sprint though :)

• 5 months later...

What email client are you using? .dat files are typical of M$ software being incompatible with some other clients. The only solution that has ever worked for me is to get the sender to send the email as a plain text one. Even then it can take a few goes to get right!