When is a car not a car - eBay again

Colin Lindsay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122842960567?ul_noapp=true

I hope that the seller doesn't mind me raising a few points on the forum, but I'm curious about this particular Herald.

It's advertised as a 948S, but has a 1200 grille and side chrome strips. On reading further it's got a 13/60 interior including dashboard, and a 13/60 engine.

I can't tell if it's on a Mk1 chassis but can you still call it a 948 when it's got no 948 parts left? How does this stand legally?

It could be, but if the car is being advertised as a 948S, and the parts which make it either a 948, or an 'S', are no longer there, then is it really still a 948S?

It wouldn't matter with any other model - to a large extent - but it's like selling a twin-carb saloon with only one carb... not strictly accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another one I've just spotted... can you sell a saloon as a convertible? "You can't tell it's a convertible when the roof's on"... apparrently. That's cos it isn't.... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-Triumph-Herald-13-60-Hardtop-Convertible-1275cc-12-months-MOT/253313261312?hash=item3afaa59f00:g:lKQAAOSw7z1Z~frt

43 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Here's another one I've just spotted... can you sell a saloon as a convertible? "You can't tell it's a convertible when the roof's on"... apparrently. That's cos it isn't.... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-Triumph-Herald-13-60-Hardtop-Convertible-1275cc-12-months-MOT/253313261312?hash=item3afaa59f00:g:lKQAAOSw7z1Z~frt

Have just messaged him ;).....he's got the engine size wrong also, unless he's put an A-Series in it....

I just hope any buyer realises what he's getting. The saloon is actually a very nicely proportioned car, but I hate this alleged interchangeability between the models simply by undoing a few bolts. I've had too many letters from proud new owners, or had cars brought to me to show them off, and then had to break the bad news - it's NOT really a convertible. Did you know that the proper Herald convertible was the one with the full-size removable hard top, and the one with the shorter black vinyl hood was actually the coupe, which also comes with a shaped hard top?  I didn't, until a new owner informed me.... and he'd been given sample photos to illustrate it!

3 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Wonder why if the car is in such good condition it needs the brick under the front wheel.

Regards

Paul

The brick is actually OEL for the Herald... wasn't there a supplier (I'm thinking John Kipping?) who used to feature one in the handbrake section of his catalogue?

Hi

With regard to the 948s herald with later 13/60 bits on/in it... I've bought it. Fir better or worse.. it remains to be seen. It's a very sound car that been the subject of a quite good restoration. Ok so it has some later parts fitted the larger engine i feel makes it more useable. Also the later dash now has temp guage which the earlier model did not. The picctures of the restoration are comprehensive and I'm satisfied with that. It is not a car for the purists. It however suits my purpose for a useable classic which i will not be afraid to drive. In that respect it's job done

Pete

Glad it has found a good home. Was built on a later chassis? I hope so as it is much stronger.

I once bought a 1200 herald, a 1961 and when the seller gave me the receipt, he had added the phrase "largely rebuilt using parts from later cars", so like many Triumphs out there a "Triggers Broom" and I have no concerns about that as long as the car is well put together. Better than a genuinely unmolested car that is a heap!

Lets face it, these cars all went through a phase of being almost worthless. Back in the early 90's I bought a 1200 herald for £50, and it was another £50 if I wanted the brand new tyres left on (which I did) A weekend work and I ran the car for a year as an everyday. That wasn't a bad car, but rather slow as an early 1200. It was replaced with the "molested" one that I paid about £100 for, but there was no diff fitted and it was on stands. A good diff was fitted, and teh car towed home with 3 hours. Stafford a few weeks later supplied a full set of used FG valances for £15, and all the repair panels needed were about £20. I then fitted a 1500 engine and overdrive box (£100, all good) and a vitesse dash. That was used for several years before being replaced by a £125 estate!  

I digress, These are great fun little cars that are easy to maintain (sometimes) and parts between models are largely swappable. So enjoy the ownership!

52 minutes ago, thebiker1952 said:

Hi

With regard to the 948s herald with later 13/60 bits on/in it... I've bought it. Fir better or worse.

Good man Pete. I was worried that someone would buy it and then feel totally swindled once they found all the upgrades, but I'm glad to hear it's as you want it. Happy motoring! 

Hi

Thanks for the comments. I live in south wales so will be joining the sw area club. I have also put on a 13 inch steering wheel as being 6ft 4ins i couldn't hardly get my legs under the original one. Which I'm keeping to go with the car when i eventually sell it. Looking forward to getting out and about when the shows and club meetings kick off next year 

Pete

being 6ft 4ins i couldn't hardly get my legs under the original one. 

Then you probably need a smaller wheel (14" is my preference).  But, did you know that the steering column can be adjusted up and down (with spanners and an allen key).  Details in Haynes and the proper WSM, one of which you will need anyway.

C.

• 10 months later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Herald-1200-Convertible-1963/132850942597?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D1c5a02a89ba64b11b93b6eac42a92cf5%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D233001918341%26itm%3D132850942597&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A6581b9d8-ea6f-11e8-9342-74dbd1805e6a|parentrq%3A21ed9b241670ac1cba78cdfafffcfdc8|iid%3A1

(I think I need one of those link-shortener thingies!)

Herald 1200, terrible paint job but I'm intrigued by the seller's comment that "Lastly I want to point at that this was a originally a Saloon (according to the chassis plate), but must have been converting to a convertable a long while back and was done well/proper, so you wouldn't know.  I am told many of the convertables up for sale were originally salloons, so I dont think its an issue, but again wanted to point this out."

Really? Wonder who he's been speaking to?