Information Sought About Triumph Vitesse MK11 Registration Number EYP 464J

classic mike

I have recently purchased a Triumph Vitesse MK11.

The registration number is EYP 464J

Colour red.

Interior black.

As far as I can find out it lived in Walton on Thames until 2006.

I think the owner was a Mr Loader.

A lady who was 80 years old had stored the car in her garage after her husband passed away.

She did not want to sell the car due to sentimental reasons.

It had been used in some sort of motor sport.

Probably in the late 1990`s early 2000`s.

It was red with a white side stripe.

A 2500cc engine from a Triumph 2500 PI had been fitted.

Other mechanical modifications had been carried out.

It has red 3 point seat belts fitted.

It has leather front seats perhaps from an MGF.

It had lattice alloy wheels fitted.

The car was sold to a gentleman who lived in Bookham Kent .

It was recommissioned for the road but never used until I purchased the car last week.

Can anyone remember the car in the 1980`s/ 1990`s.?

I have enclosed a photo as I found the car.

My contact number is 07811255242.

Regards.

009.jpg

Out of interest, what makes you think it has been used in motorsport?

Doubtful for anything above clubmans level as no mention of roll cage or harnesses, so could have done some road rallies or similar?

Has it still got rotoflex rear suspension? comber looks very positive (after being jacked up) and more like non-rotoflex. 

As to owners, you used to be able to ask DVLA for a list of previous owners, may be a start?

In answer to the questions.

You cannot get details of previous owners anymore since 1st Sept 2017.

Data protection act.

In answer to the question about motorsport.

I was told by the seller of the car he remembers the elderly lady and her daughter  mentioning that her husband / father build the car for motorsport purposes, hence the larger engine..

The car is a 1971 model.

It has three point harness as mentioned.

Further investigation this evening shows a roll cage was once fitted.

010.jpg

Thanks for the V888 update Mike; a great pity as I know how important it can be to the majority of owners who wish to compile PO history.

Looking on the SI LRO Club website there is an interesting thread reply which for all intents and purposes encompasses the V888 limitation. 

It may be, as the LR contributor has suggested that his club and really all clubs should be seeking liaison via the FBHVC on this matter.

Hopefully someone from TSSC HQ will pick-up on this and make some enquiries, with a view that a concerted effort form all UK classic vehicle clubs to reinstate the V888 PO facility.

Regards.

Richard.

• Gwynedd
I have just received a reply regarding my application for information emailed to them as laid out in "Request for information about your vehicle" ,where it clearly states that this information is available free to the owner. See https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla My interpretation of this is that there are two categories now - V888 for accident/parking etc, and "Your vehicle" for owners.

This is their response, which appears to be the same answer as people are getting from a V888 request. I have sent them a strong reply asking for clarification. I think it would be a good idea for the Club to liaise with the FBHVC on this.

Thank you for your email. We cannot release the information that you requested.
The reason(s) you have provided for wanting the name(s) and address of the previous keeper(s) of your vehicle does not meet the reasonable cause criteria that allows us to release this information. Reasonable cause is not defined in legislation, but the government’s policy is that the request should relate to the vehicle  or its use following incidents where there may be liability on the part of the driver or keeper, for example:
•   where details of a previous keeper(s) are needed for court proceedings
•   finding out who was responsible for an accident
•   tracing the registered keeper of an abandoned vehicle
•   tracing the registered keeper of a vehicle parked on private land
Further guidance on what is reasonable cause is published online at www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla
Mrs Kathryn Jenkins AO DVRE 2 D9 DVLA Swansea SA99 1AJ

Unfortunately the Data Protection Act has made it difficult for clubs to retain and use historic information concerning the cars for the benefit of the members. The only recourse was to apply to the DVLA to obtain historic information regarding one's classic vehicle. But that appear have been stopped. All the hacking going on into databases make a mockery of it all.

Dave   

I still expect it was club level rallies or suchlike. A race vitesse would be very much modified, 3 point harnesses and a simple roll bar probably do not meet MSA regs, JohnD would be the expert having raced vitesses for may years and may well know the car if it had been raced.

Most of my Triumphs have been used for motorsport, my old shed the 13/60 estate entered loads of events, and my current toledo has a nice collection of clubman awards from my 9 years of ownership. Plenty of pics on the interweb of them if you entered the reg number too, but I guess you have tried that?

An engine is an easy swap, a good indication of serious motorsport intention would be suspension and brakes, plus instrumentation and lightening.

Data Protection has been the death of many things, including the old IVR scheme. It's just too costly to store a lot of information and train people in the proper access and handling, or more importantly dealing with the legal fallout if information is given to people for insufficiently important reasons. 

It's not the people who make the enquiries, but the people who don't want their information passed on to anyone else, that cause the difficulty, and as Richard's post above shows, "wanting to know" is not really enough of a reason to be allowed access to the information.

Sign of the times, guys...

BTW Mike, is that your garage in the top photo?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Data Protection has been the death of many things, including the old IVR scheme. It's just too costly to store a lot of information and train people in the proper access and handling, or more importantly dealing with the legal fallout if information is given to people for insufficiently important reasons. 

It's not the people who make the enquiries, but the people who don't want their information passed on to anyone else, that cause the difficulty, and as Richard's post above shows, "wanting to know" is not really enough of a reason to be allowed access to the information.

Sign of the times, guys...

BTW Mike, is that your garage in the top photo?

+1