Snow

dougbgt6

Down here in the soft South it's SNOWMAGEDDON. :o Two inches and still falling, we can't get up the slight incline that is our road. We can't get to Waitrose, we will all surely starve.

What's it like where you are? I was supposed to be going to Scotland today, but maybe not.

We had between four and six inches on Friday, I had to give up half-way through a thirty mile journey and turn back. Visibility was down to the car in front, no white line down the middle of the road and no idea where the hard shoulder was. Scary at times! I stopped at Tesco on the way home and stocked up with the essentials - chocolate and beer. It's now thawed quite a bit but more is forecast.

It's a sign of the times that a lot of our schools seem to close even if someone opens a freezer door these days - we used to struggle on through blizzards, and that was walking to school. 

We had a tiny bit of snow overnight Friday into Saturday, which didn’t melt as it was so bloody cold yesterday, but not enough to stop a mercy mission to M&S for critical supplies!

All change today, 10cm of snow so far and it’s showing no signs of stopping.

Guess I’ll just have to batten down the hatches and continue with the welding on the Herald to keep me warm!

Karl

Dry as a bone in North Lincs but freezing cold, got all 3 elements going on the calor gas heater in the garage, my lad is welding a new rear wheel arch panel on and as a condition of contract he will not weld in the cold!

These youngsters but methinks I will keep me thoughts to meself!

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Down here in the soft South it's SNOWMAGEDDON. :o Two inches and still falling, we can't get up the slight incline that is our road. We can't get to Waitrose, we will all surely starve.

What's it like where you are? I was supposed to be going to Scotland today, but maybe not.

Yes we always know when the south has it as it’s all over the six o’clock news !  The fact that it’s totally routine in much of northern Scotland over the winter generally seems to escape the notice of the London journos funnily enough !  It’s bitter but dry in central Scotland at the mo.

Couple of inches NE Essex, no signs of any gritters, turns out they were stuck in the snow on the A12. Come midday it warmed up and roads went slushy.

lorries blocking roads causing chaos earlier today, 

incompetent travel reporters on local radio didn't help. Saying roads  closed then next statement was that we're watching traffic moving along the closed roads.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ditto that! What camera is it? I used to have some good cameras when it was all film, but lost interest with the digital revolution. These small pocket jobs have loads of pixels but it doesn't seem to make much difference. It's all in the lens I think.

It is a Canon 1Dx with a 70-200f2.8 IS L Mk2 on the front.

You are correct though, the lens makes much of the difference - the better the camera, the easier it is to get the shot as the AF is quicker, the metering better and they just handle better. They also tend to be able to take more of a battering and don't mind a bit of damp as a rule.

Its the first time I've used this particular lens in anger since I got it really - I've used a similar one loads of times before, but decided to chop my 10year old F4 version a month or so ago, when Canon had a £200 rebate offer on. Got a very good price for the PX too - lost £110 in the 10 years. Something you don't see with the bodies :( 

Yeah, it’s not a cheap hobby. I don’t seem to have them. :o

The 1Dx was a 50th present from the wife - when I was 49 because it had interest free credit - which could have disappeared at any time :rolleyes: 

of course the mk2 is out now, but I won’t be getting that one. I had (have) the 1D mk3 for about 5years before the upgrade. So might, possibly, perhaps get the next version. But it depends on what extra it does and if there is a real benefit. 

I pretty much have all the lenses I need. But what has need got to do with anything :D