Windows 10

dougbgt6

Had to replace my hard drive last month, that was a performance. Got the new drive in, but had no OS to load the back up. Eventfully got a disk off Ebay for £2.50. It put something rudimentary on the drive, got internet access, searched through MS's labyrinthine files and found something that decided  "This laptop once had Windows 10 and can have it again".

Finally something I know about (was an IT guy for 30yrs) . I never upgrade any software unless I absolutely must have a certain feature. (and that's rare) Software these days doesn't go through sufficient testing before it's released for the public to test it. It's always unreliable.

If you must upgrade due to lack of ongoing support then upgrade to the next version not the latest one. I've only just upgraded to win7 from XP. XP was flawless, win7 is faster but less controllable .... Win 10 is full of security issues imo.  Especially with Microsoft harvesting keystroke info and audio 'to help them to help you'.  For your phone or pc to respond to you saying "hello Google" it's listening and processing everything it hears. I'm not paranoid, just clued up so I always disable all data sharing. 

Basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it. An operating system is a complex animal very few people actually understand. 

14 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

. I've only just upgraded to win7 from XP. XP was flawless, win7 is faster but less controllable .... Win 10 is full of security issues imo.  

Ditto. Loved my XP machines.

I am sure MS sent out a "kill" to XP machines a while ago as my working perfectly XP laptop started hanging all the time and runs like a dog.

i know Apple do it to keep you upgrading all the time but didn't think MS would stoop that low.

Had Win10 on my work laptop, what a pile of shit. Downgraded to Win7 now. The advantage of being IT support, I can have what I want

I used Linux for a few years before going to a win10 upgrade, I found linux intuative and never any problems

Win10 files things all over the place , so once saved never to be found again

You can delete things with a simple swipe without realising 

I stick to a classic shell desk top so it looks like a PC not a smart phone , I dont need all them silly aps and garbage

Dinasaurus pete

I like Win10 as it goes - Basically an updated Win7 IMHO - which in itself was an update of XP.

They are depreciating a lot of things though, which I don't like, particularly within Office and not replacing them with anything that works (I'm largely thinking of the graphs you could produce in access upto Office 2010, but now you have to use Excel - and as a lot of my needs are for time based data - and lots of it - I could be messing with 300k+ lines of data, excel simply can't do it.) Now trying to find another solution as eventually Office 2010 will die (It already is, but I was able to find a copy!)

1 hour ago, ShaunW said:

Software these days doesn't go through sufficient testing before it's released

It was ever thus! I remember windows 1, Windows 2 was so bad they didn't release it! Windows 3 was very quickly replaced by Windows 3.1 History repeats itself with 8 and 8.1 and then the jump to 10! 

As for XP, the perils of stay with an unsupported system were made quite clear last summer when the NHS and assorted others got hacked. Thames Valley Police were still using XP but I think they've learnt their lesson. 

I like 10, the constant updates are a pain, but it'll be sorted in a couple of years!

It's all been down hill since DOS and RIO

I was a super big fan of W7, but when the H/D went a couple of years ago I got a new laptop with W10 installed - but no Office package.

At first I was quite anti W10 but it grew on me steadily and I have to say I do like it a lot. My only gripe with the operating system is that whenever there is a significant upgrade it knocks out my connection to the printer. Not a major issue, I just download the latest drivers to get the printer working again - but an unnecessary faff. Never had that situation with W7.

I went for Apache Open Office (free) rather than going for a MS Office package; to date not had a problem and it does everything I require that your usual Office package would give you.

Regards.

Richard. 

1 hour ago, ShaunW said:

Ditto. You're not a sports trader by any chance  Anglefire? 

No Shaun,

I'm a controls engineer so have a lot of temperature/humidity data which needs to be plotted against time - something excel fails to do - and access does very well - or did until the graph function was removed.

My home laptop is still running Vista Business - I get the occasional security update, but after 10 years or so they seem to have ironed out most of the bugs. Still on Office 2003 with a converter for 2007 and 2010 files... We have Windows 7 at work and an IT team actively resisting Win 10 in the hope that Microsoft will come up with something better that will run our HR system. And don't mention Citrix!

Gully

Gully,

Support for Windows Vista stopped in April 2017. which is why you are no longer getting updates.

I worked in the IT department of an investment bank and clinging on to Windows 7 in the hope that something better might come along would have been a career threatening strategy.

Here is a scary list from Microsoft.

http://www.allyncs.com/docs/lifecyclesupport.html

Doug

And the NHS, that still runs largely on Windows XP, nearly collapsed altogether under the Wannacry virus.   

The fix that could have prevented it wasn't from Microsoft, it was internally written, but because NHS IT departments are so poorly funded there were many gaps.    Keeping safe in the digital world means keeping up to date with the latest software and updates, unless you have the resources of a well funded IT Dept. Old software is a gift to the Black Hats.

John

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

And the NHS, that still runs largely on Windows XP, nearly collapsed altogether under the Wannacry virus.

Stop believing things you read in the Daily Fail people (though admittedly the rest of the tech-ignorant press were more than happy to repeat the same, factually incorrect line).

The usage of Windows XP in the NHS actually limited the damage done by the Wannacry infection - because the version of Wannacry (or more correctly the DOUBLEPULSAR payload it contained) was too new for XP!  The problem was actually the number of unpatched Windows 7 systems in the NHS.  XP machines would crash but not become infected, so were unable to spread the infection.

Mijit,

Yes the press and our political leaders know frighteningly little about IT.

But, had the NHS had a supported operating system it wouldn't have happened. Did it happen to Windows 10 machines?

Success in IT is simples, backup, backup the backup, then backup the 2nd backup & keep it off site, UPPGRADE, and, use Cisco network equipment.

Doug

2 hours ago, Mjit said:

Stop believing things you read in the Daily Fail people (though admittedly the rest of the tech-ignorant press were more than happy to repeat the same, factually incorrect line).

The usage of Windows XP in the NHS actually limited the damage done by the Wannacry infection - because the version of Wannacry (or more correctly the DOUBLEPULSAR payload it contained) was too new for XP!  The problem was actually the number of unpatched Windows 7 systems in the NHS.  XP machines would crash but not become infected, so were unable to spread the infection.

That's another reason why I stay a few steps behind. 

3 hours ago, Mjit said:

I wouldn't wrap dog faeces in the Daily Mail, Mjit, let alone read it, but I do (did!) work in the NHS, so thank you for your correction.

Now, isn't it true that our nuclear submarines run on XP?

John

I am not going to go into details given my background but John is partly correct on the submarine use of XP.  Some of the systems on some of the boats are still using it, and for good reasons.  We only have nuclear powered submarines, the conventionals (diesel/electric) went some years ago.

Dick