Hi Torque Starter GT6 / Vitesse

Paul H

Hi the Club Shop has Hi Torque Starter GT6 / Vitesse on offer this month for £150 and checking around this looks like good deal - Are they worth the upgrade and is it a straight swop . Lastly is the existing starter solenoid made redundant 

Thanks in advance for input

Paul 

Paul,

I fitted one to my Mk3 GT6 last year and have found it very good as the car is much more likely to start at the first attempt now, even if the battery is having a bit of an off day. Fitting the new starter on my car was a straight swap but you have to be careful not to miss the shims which fit between the starter and the bell-housing. These can stick to the old starter and can be almost invisible under the dirt. If you leave them off you'll soon find out (I know I did!) because the meshing will be out.

Wayne  

• Thanks 1

Paul

Ditto Wayne's message plus you just wire it in the same as the old so keep the solenoid. It takes much less amperage but still some!

Also mine was a bit of a pain to fit as the top bolt was a welded stud on mine so it had to be tightened with the nut only and from the far side ( a few bloody knuckles and sware words) but I don't think they are all like this 

Aidan 

• Thanks 1

I felt it was one of the best upgrades .....if you need  a starter.  the rate it swings the engine over with a very low current 

Will impress you the first time you turn the key  toying with maybe one for the 2000 but these have the pre engaged unit which is substantially better than the old   bendix drive

But if you have  low battery  state the geared starter  will still whizz it up so quick. 

Its not so much hi torque more low current,  its a small high speed motor drives the pinion via a intergal gearbox to develope the torque

Pete

• Thanks 1

The HiTorque starter is a 'pre-engaged' device, which means it doesn't have a Bendix drive, but on top of the main motor,  a second cylinder which is a solenoid that throws the pinion at the  starter ring on the flywheel.     When fitted originally, there is a direct connection from battery to starter.     The ignition key/starter button is connected to this solenoid, and when energised pushes the pinion into gear, 'pre-engages' it, and also energises  the starter motor.    You could do the same on your car, remove the old bulkhead solenoid and lengthen the ignition switch wire to that down to the new starter solenoid, if you wished.

Or, you can be lazy like the rest of us, and leave the bulkhead solenoid in place fully wired, but run a short jumper wire from the main starter terminal to he starter solenoid.    The ignition switch enegises the old solenoid, which energises the starter terminal, which energises the starter solenoid, which energises the starter motor!  Phew!    One more part to go wrong, but these solenoids are reliable!

JOhn

from past stories  my aunt was  secretary to John Black   but she cant help now either  !!!

there s a lot of  mixed up history from my families past with Standard,   Hillman,   Commer , and the Rootes brothers  , no use asking them either .!!

sort of makes wonder why Ive got  Triumph   

Pete

Very good starters for the 6 cylinder engine (sorry to shepherd the topic back again lol) BUT be careful - some of them have a drain hole which is meant to be underneath, but due to the chassis and limited space around the engine on our cars it ends up being at the top. You can just see it to the left of the red cable and below the steering column in this pic. Consequently water gets in (it's directly under the block drain tap) and the insides rust up solid over the Winter layup. Happened to me, I had to strip the motor down and clean / regrease. Easily enough done if you need to, but blocking the drain hole up, if it's at the top, will prevent this happening at all. 

fitted.JPG.942b07356ffd208f54aa696137889509.JPG

• Thanks 2