big saloon gearbox and clutch

Pete Lewis

Well you can compress the detent spring till it bottoms out and locks the shaft up until then 15lbs is the most you can get from ball and new spring , my thoughts are the manual is incorrect and probably a carry over from the early boxes which had a ramped  Detent plunger not a ball bearing , so I have to settle for 15lb or it means strip the shafts out and redesign the detent groove

And thats not in the plan ,

Box is fully rebuilt with supposed high quality german baulk rings at  double price but hey ho , new B&B clutch for £69 of eby

A blast of silver paint and it will be back in very soon  well when its not freezing.

I did use a new clutch cross shaft and lapped in the HD dowel  bolt 

Dont want to revisit that zone again.

Pete

• Thanks 1

well the box is back in , not enough height  to use the trolley jack transmision platorm, so back to two jacks and a bit of up down wibble wobbel and in she goes , the top studs are a pig to get at , the head fouls the brake pipes so getting the angle low enough is tight,

odd there are no dowel locations for the  clutch hsg, but there are  3x 3/8" bolts  spread around the diameter,  the remaining 11 are 5/16" as normal  , only the back plate is doweled ..thats not my idea of it all  being conentrictic

just the prop and exhaust to button up , but after a long  yesturday,  today is one of coffee and biscuits

Pete

The winter bug everyone seems to have been caught up with has finally breached my defenses

So cough cough wheeze sneeze  dribble and puke has withdrawn any interest in finishing this of 

so a test run is postponed  for a few days till the gearbox bug overtakes the alien one

And normal service is resumed

Pah humbug

Pete

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

well  Gully popped over last sunday and we fitted the  new propshaft and the exaust, well that turned into a days work 

I must have removed the rear gearbox  crossmember before reoving the exhaust..dont ask why, cause when its all in place you cant refit the semi assembled down pipe and boxes as they go over the mount not under, well it took 1.5 hours the split the down pipe out and more contorsions to correct the rear subframe hangers , theres still no oil in, or wiring connected to the OD or starter

the bug has taken hold again and work dried up ...wish this silly cold would dryup

one day i will beat this bug and finish her off for a well deserved run. maybe later today will see the overalls for a trial fitting 

just orderd some new ones in RED   really RED    Oh dear  theres no hope

Pete

• Sad 1

well despite the bug hanging on and energy levels are like a flat battery , Ray and i got the dratted solenoid wires on without 

dropping the starter, once the awfull throttle spring contraption was removed .

anyway  quick test run proves the german baulk rings are excellant, the intial jumping out of 1st is still there under arduos  low speed decelation , so i will live with it 

theres no way to match the figures in the manual for selector detent loads , and this would need the groove or detent plunger modifiying and i cant be bothered  its not coming of again  !!

and all gear endfloats were at  the lower end of the spec quoted , its not that

anyway 99% sucess and a struggle , these are not the easiest cars to work on when youre used to the small chassis range

she back on the road ready for this years season of herts and beds outings and others 

Pete

• Thanks 1

went for a long spin .even had some snow yesturday , the new prop and getting the snappy synchro has brought the driveline

into a much quieter ,snappier, vibration free motoring ,  sausages to the 1st gear decel, the rest is as  near perfect you can get.

daft to have better results with everyone elses boxes and still have a very small defect with my own....sods laws prevales 

maybe i need to blow my own trumpet   Ha!

Pete

No problems with other gears however, slave cylinder needs new innards and bleeding but I can't slacken me nipple. It'll have to wait till it's warm out side and I get the cowl off and remove it to the bench.

Modern is automatic so left leg could be atrophying due to lack of use. 

Doug

7 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Pete,

Presumably It will have a twist in it like the slave cylinder feed to compensate for the engine flexing about. Or, possibly, don't mount it and just leave it.......erect?

Doug

Think Pete is suggesting a flexy brake hose, so can be clipped to the bulkhead.

Gully

On 5 February 2018 at 11:41 AM, Pete Lewis said:

well another good  run today and its brilliant now,  only problem was me,  she went for a new outrigger and turned up at the crack of dawn 

only to find  it was booked in 5th March  not February  ....must be some pills for this seniorism

Pete

Yes, was a good day yesterday - had a short 30 miles run in the GT6 to warm everything through (and escape the family!).

Gully