UJs greasing how?

Andrew

I had a Land Rover Discovery 3 for 7 years and 174k miles - but did the majority of the work myself - and had a proper diagnostic tool that could also do some enabling of things that LR didn't! Was something like £460 to buy - but paid for itself and got £350 back when I sold it on!

My BMW I might do some of the work - I'll see when the time comes and how much it will cost to get it done - brakes it claims won't need doing on the front for about 26k and the back 70k.

And some makes are better at letting the generic readers work - VW is good and I think all pretty much open, Ford and JLR are locked to the minimum they have to show. I have one for the BMW and it can do quite a few things - but not everything - but it was only £100 or so.

• 1 month later...

I've found  an easy way to grease the UJ's on my Herald drive shafts. Get hold of a disposable plastic syringe from  Ebay or possibly the chemist (mine was a 25ml syringe from a vet) and fill it with grease. The body of the syringe is small enough to fit between the knuckles of the UJ and the nozzle will fit directly into the hole where the blanking  screw was. 

You may have to refill the syringe a few times depending on how much grease is needed , so it may be worth buying a range of different sizes - they cost very little.

Attached is a couple of photos.

Barry 

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

Guys

i promised I would update you on my efforts.  Take a look at the  picture.  I cut some tubing, cut a thread in one end to accommodate the threaded part of a grease nipple, used a drill to open up the other  end of the pipe and then using a bench press pushed the non threaded part of the nipple in.

What are your thoughts.

regards

Andrew

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, Anglefire said:

I had a Land Rover Discovery 3 for 7 years and 174k miles - but did the majority of the work myself - and had a proper diagnostic tool that could also do some enabling of things that LR didn't! Was something like £460 to buy - but paid for itself and got £350 back when I sold it on!

My BMW I might do some of the work - I'll see when the time comes and how much it will cost to get it done - brakes it claims won't need doing on the front for about 26k and the back 70k.

And some makes are better at letting the generic readers work - VW is good and I think all pretty much open, Ford and JLR are locked to the minimum they have to show. I have one for the BMW and it can do quite a few things - but not everything - but it was only £100 or so.

I get by, using some software on the laptop and a switchable OBD to USB adapter. Works on both my Fiat Punto. And the current Fiat Ducato based Motorhome. Will be interesting when the new Mercedes Sprinter based Motorhome arrives in a week or so. I will probably need new software.

Pete