It's all over (bar the paying!)

Colin Lindsay

It's all gone now for another year..... 

It's snowing, I've been out in a freezing cold garage since 7am moving stuff about to make room for carpet fitters who are coming to fit a carpet in the mancave above (her term, not mine), I've to fix the lawnmower which won't start and is now in bits, fit LED lights to the trailer (thanks Santa) and assemble and fit a sliding roller system for a hoist in the main garage. The bins are full of wrapping paper and boxes, the cats are full of left over turkey and I swear I'll never eat or drink again. ROLL ON NORMALITY!

Only 363 days to Christmas.

It's January sale time! :wacko:

I was intending to buy a tool chest in the sales but Halfords 7 drawer has gone up in price! £200 Why? Because it can now be bought in a "bundle" for £1 LESS you get the 7 drawer AND the giant cupboard on wheels. They've put the price up to cover the "bundle" who do they think they're fooling? I don't want the giant cupboard, I've no where to put it (see separate thread on garage size).

Ah well, off to Waitrose for discounted party food, pigs in blankets for the rest of the week. 

Doug

I went to Go Outdoors yesterday - staff outnumbered the customers. Apparently it's all down to Black Friday - something else to blame on the other side of the pond! ?

That said, Letchworth wasn't much busier today when I took my parents to buy more beige clothes in Edinburgh Woollen Mill - the only positive was persuading Dad out of a simply dreadful shirt, which had as its only redeeming feature a heavily discounted price. No small wonder all sizes remained available!

What I really wanted to do was check the valve clearances on the GT6, change the plugs and play with the advance timing light Santa delivered for Terry Triumph! However, snow stopped play.

Gully

Gully,

You mean Edinburgh Acrylic Mills, my local one has nothing woollen, they now own Jaeger, shortly to become another non woollen brand!  

My daughters monitor my wardrobe and expunge anything pensioner beige. 

No work on the car till warmer weather arrives, but I do have the gearbox/clutch cowl to insulate and new radio and speaker wiring to construct, all in the warmth of the lounge!

Doug

Went to Homebase this morning (needed some MDF in imperial, they only had metric) and very nearly bought a lovely six drawer unit in white for the man-cave. The black-marker written sign read: "Amazing value - last few only £14.99" It was excellent quality for the money.

THEN the wife pointed out that the very badly hand-written sign actually said: "£74.99." 

I refuse to use the foreign 7 - it's a principle as it's seemingly French :) 

And I don't write unless I really, really have to. Mine is atrocious - it was never good when I was at school (Actually it was ok when I was allowed to use an ink pen, but was told I had to use a biro, then it collapsed in a spider like fashion) and since using computers it has fallen into disuse :P 

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I refuse to use the foreign 7 - it's a principle as it's seemingly French :) 

Not French,

Copied from the web:

The number system what we use today (1,2,3,4,5…) is called Arabic Numbers System. We also have Roman Numbers System (I, II, III, IV, V, …) which is rarely being used. It is all because of Angles. Yes, it is the number of angles in each letter. The following image has ancient Arabic numbers. All the angles that are formed in these letters are mentioned by the letter 0.

main-qimg-e233ad56c33c0155484f64deff9c3b3b-c

So an "English" 7 is only 3, then :wacko:

Therefore a week has only has 3 days which means I am a lot older, not going to calculate it but Methuselah would only be a adolescent compared to me :angry: 

The world hasn't been the same since Roman numerals stopped being the norm.

All the best for MMXVlll :D

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Try adding Roman numerals!

Let alone, long division!

The Romans managed it, I assume. I have a vague memory of having done addition back in school, at that time Latin was still a compulsory subject. The Romans had left Britain by then, just.

The Romans almost certainly used an abacus for calculations, in both 5-10-base like the numbering sysmbols, and later base-10, like ours removing the confusing and clumsy numerical -60symbols.   The abacus is very flexible and the earliest from Babylon are in base-60 (!), hence our 60 seconds to a minute. 

And fast, even division:  

but some don't even need the abacus!

No, I don't kniow what they are doing!  Uisng thier hands as abaci?

John

You have to be careful how you phrase things these days.

Some would say "The Arabs gave us zero" while others would say: "The Arabs gave us nothing".... 

...and if we're talking about the Romans, October, November and December stand for eighth, ninth and tenth... but are really tenth eleventh and twelfth... 

.....and furthermore (getting carried away here!) if you have a clock with Roman numerals, have a look at the face. If 4 o'clock is written as IV then it's correct, but a lot of them appear to have it written as IIII which is incorrect. It appears on a surprising number of modern clocks that way.... 

38 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

.....and furthermore (getting carried away here!) if you have a clock with Roman numerals, have a look at the face. If 4 o'clock is written as IV then it's correct, but a lot of them appear to have it written as IIII which is incorrect. It appears on a surprising number of modern clocks that way.... 

This is indeed very common - my Dad restores antique clocks for fun, and I did ask him about the IIII vs IV and I forget what he said now, but it is some odd reason. I think to do with symmetry and "weight" of the numbers