the start of a extreme late MK4 Spitfire restoration

Dam

I recently bought a right basket case of a triumph spitfire MK4 with the intention of restoring her. this will be my first restoration but my apprenticeship at the coventry transport museum has taught me a fair amount on classic coventry cars. i have a low income witch meant starting with something in a very bad way needing a lot of body work doing, a engine and gearbox to put in her. i have bought the engine and gearbox of a breakers yard and need to recondition that as well but that i don't mind as it made it more affordable, i'm not 100% sure on the year as it was a barn find with no paperwork or registration plates. i think that its a 78 from what i have seen looking on the web with the chassis number but im not 100% i got the chassis number written down right just yet as it was dark at the time and the plate is very worn.... its gonna be a long one i think but you gotta start somewhere haha

IMG_20171217_111411.jpg

I  hope you learnt a lot about panel beating at Coventry Museum as I can't see a straight panel on it!

The bonnet modification looks interesting - wonder if they fitted a straight 6 in at some time?

Oh and welcome to the forum and good luck - will be good to see the progress!

• Like 1

i think that the straight 6 was fitted at some time due to the bonnet and that is something i haven't done a lot of, this will be in aid to help me learn some of the things we don't do at the museum. thank you for the warm welcome.

Hi Dam and welcome. That front quarter valence looks ok so all is not lost...!

Don't forget to use the Club classifieds and post a good 'parts wanted' ad which will help you source the bits you need at hopefully lower cost than buying from breakers or suppliers. I'd hazard a guess that a second-hand bonnet may not be as expensive as you might think and would go a long way to saving the car with a lot less effort.. unless you relish the challenge? 

Good luck and post plenty of questions or updates - it keeps the morale up over a long rebuild.

Colin

• Like 1

Welcome, indeed, to one who has taken on such a task!    

When you say "chassis no." there was one, ona  little plate tack welded to the left hand outrigger (IIRC).  That usually rusts away.

But the car's ID is the Commission plate on the left side of the bulkhead (again IIRC)  Stamped on alloy, so the characters should stay readable for a long time.

Good luck!

John

• Like 1

Yikes    brave to take this on as a first ,

banger racing comes to mind looking at the paint and body condition

Coventry motor museum, ive donated a  lot of Commer handbooks and data there in the past also found they have the Commer

TS3 2 stroke diesel I sectioned as an apprentice  for the 1965 commercial motor show

Good luck keep us  up to speed with  your progress

Pete

• Like 1

i think with the bonnet im going to take the challenge first as well if i ruin it whats the difference haha, may as well give it a go and if i cock it up then i needed a new one anyway atleast i can say i gave it a go... the other side is a little straighter haha....

IMG_20171217_111344.jpg

I guess one has to ask: "is it really worth it for this particular type of vehicle ??"

On face value that statement may sound somewhat defeatist, but if you have managed to pick up useful bodywork skills your time may be better aligned to restoring a vehicle that has a balance between hours invested and return - not necessarily financial.

What is the history of the car - looks as though it has been banger raced or had another vehicle sitting on it looking at the creasing ??

Regards.

Richard.

• 1 month later...