Happy new year.

Anglefire

Thank you, and the best wishes returned to you and yours.

Mine has started really well, the strange bulge in the ceiling in the back sitting room has turned out to be about a gallon of water from a leaking pipe.... ceiling has come down, sofa soaked through and entire room stinking of damp... and absolutely no idea which out of a dozen pipes is the culprit!

Darling daughter flooded the same room a few months back by overflowing the sink in the bathroom above; it's a strange coincidence that she had a bath before going out last night and the ceiling came down - again - the next morning......

So 2018 has started really well! I'm off to the garage later on to see what else can go wrong.

Five days into the year and I've had a ceiling come down, dropped five litres of horrible pale green emulsion on the garage floor and just almost fried myself repairing the lawnmower... the solenoid stuck on ( was previously stuck off) the starter motor went into overdrive and I had enough sparks smoke and screaming noises to have my heart still thumping madly away half an hour later.

I want the old year back - it was safer!

It was my 65th birthday on Tuesday and my wife treated me to lunch at our favourite local restaurant, not a Michelin star but a Michelin recommended, but as usual when it came to paying:

1. Either no card

2. Can't remember her code

Today was a new card so no idea of code. Guess who paid :angry:

Good start, but no surprise, to the New Year.:unsure:

On 1/5/2018 at 3:03 PM, Chris A said:

It was my 65th birthday on Tuesday and my wife treated me to lunch at our favourite local restaurant, not a Michelin star but a Michelin recommended, but as usual when it came to paying:

1. Either no card

2. Can't remember her code

Mine goes to the checkout in Tescos with a full trolley then 'remembers' something just as the payment comes up, so runs off leaving me to pay. It's happened a few times.

Re cards: did you know that when (my) bank issues a new card the old one is then automatically obsolete even if it's got weeks to run? Santander posted me a new one this morning, the old one runs to end of 2/18 but nothing would accept it today and I had to activate the new one to pay for anything. A bit sneaky, especially if I hadn't had the new one with me... 

However I went on-line to check the account and found that Nationwide BS are still taking a direct debit for insurance on the house we moved out of last year - the new occupants have been insured at my expense for 18 months... that one was cancelled immediately. 

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

However I went on-line to check the account and found that Nationwide BS are still taking a direct debit for insurance on the house we moved out of last year - the new occupants have been insured at my expense for 18 months... that one was cancelled immediately. 

Hadn't you been checking bank statements? It seems quite common for people to suddenly find that something has been taken from their accounts for months before they spot it.

I'm totally the opposite. I have an Excel table with all the accounts on for both of us. For the current account that pays the standing orders etc I not only have the details of what is in the account but what is to come out and go in so I have a daily net figure of funds available. Even more of an anorak I have a monthly budget & cash flow programme for the whole of 2018 - even a draft for 2019. :rolleyes: Most of my working life was in planning, either financial, production or construction.

As for forgetting things, my wife will regularly wait until we get just far enough from home that I wouldn't want to turn round before saying she hasn't got her card so she hopes I have :angry:

25 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Hadn't you been checking bank statements? It seems quite common for people to suddenly find that something has been taken from their accounts for months before they spot it.

It's a yearly debit, every February. I didn't realise until I checked the renewal details of the current house and found the old one was still running; of course any post or renewal notices would have gone to the old address. Nationwide don't seem to inform of impending renewals in advance, only a thank-you letter after the renewal has been deducted.

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

I'm totally the opposite. I have an Excel table with all the accounts on for both of us. For the current account that pays the standing orders etc I not only have the details of what is in the account but what is to come out and go in so I have a daily net figure of funds available. Even more of an anorak I have a monthly budget & cash flow programme for the whole of 2018 - even a draft for 2019. :rolleyes: Most of my working life was in planning, either financial, production or construction.

As for forgetting things, my wife will regularly wait until we get just far enough from home that I wouldn't want to turn round before saying she hasn't got her card so she hopes I have :angry:

My wife has spreadsheets for all the expenditure - she is an accountant :blink: - and forecasts years ahead.

I have a good idea where we are as I look at my credit card accounts regularly (They are on DD so never have charges) and also the online bank account. Seems to work ok.