Electric washers

Paul H

My Vitesse currently has a toggle switch to operate to washers. It’s an after market setup with the switch under the dash . It’s a bit awkward to use the wipers and  washers so considering going back to the original setup or can I convert the original “pusher” into a switch .

Any advice welcome 

Paul 

I replaced the original with a two-way switch, in the original hole.    One way operates the screen washer, the other the wipers, mid-position off.      If I could find a switch with one way spring loaded, to briefly run the wash, that would be even better.

You may have to devise a way to fill the hole, which is larger than a toggle switch needs.

John

Use the Toledo post 1972 or Dolomite 1300 wiper/wash switch. This is a direct replacement. It has a two position for the wipers. But more importantly it has a switch instead of a manual pump to operate the electric washer pump. Looks the same and operates the same. i.e. just push the switch in. For the pump motor use the TR7 type.

Dave 

darren posted a link to using the orig bellows to prime a washing machine water level switch to fire the electric pump up

in his winter project to rewire the herald.

novel idea , supoosed to be in a courier soon ( or past ) then you can reuse the orig pump .

there used to be a lucas switch that screwed on to replace the bellows but that not listed anywhere these days

on my VIT6 we just added a period push button .through the veneer.

pete

Leave the old bellows pump in place and put a switch to an electric washer pump on the lower edge of the dashboard surround, down by your legs. It can be any kind of period switch or bracket and no-one will ever suspect.

BTW avoid the sellers on eBay who sell combined washer pumps and water bottles as "fits: Triumph Herald". They don't. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

darren posted a link to using the orig bellows to prime a washing machine water level switch to fire the electric pump up

in his winter project to rewire the herald.

novel idea , supoosed to be in a courier soon ( or past ) then you can reuse the orig pump .

The post is below.

Just blank off the suck side of the bellow switch, the blow side goes to the pressure switch. Run an ignition feed through the 2 centre lucar connectors on the pressure switch to the pump.....works a treat.

The full article is with Bern, written by another Devon member it includes using a relay from a Fiesta to add intermittent wipers and a wash/wipe in a single action as well.

Darren

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Darren Groves said:

The post is below.

Just blank off the suck side of the bellow switch, the blow side goes to the pressure switch. Run an ignition feed through the 2 centre lucar connectors on the pressure switch to the pump.....works a treat.

The full article is with Bern, written by another Devon member it includes using a relay from a Fiesta to add intermittent wipers and a wash/wipe in a single action as well.

Darren

Thanks Darren, just purchased a used pressure switch from EBay . £7.99 delivered . Could have purchased new at approx £20. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

Update - the Hotpoint pressure switch arrived and surprised how small it was - approx 50mm diameter - I blew down the inlet pipe and there was an audible click indicating the switch was operating. - I removed the plastic clip with wire cutters so the base plate was flat

washer1.thumb.jpg.c7f19bbbd0a18089a110af4d17105973.jpg

washer3.thumb.jpg.60e4f3be12483bf6cf7a0cd538a80f2b.jpg

With the clip removed I added a strip of aluminium held on with JB Weld 

washer2.thumb.jpg.ec8d4520c256c1c9098ffc23f60b1cae.jpg

The switch wires fit on the 2 middle spades

washer4.thumb.jpg.63f3ca58de1b7b0231ff94db13f9be6c.jpg

This is the original toggle switch for the washers

washer5.thumb.jpg.5760792adf3a42234174d0598dafcfbc.jpg

This pic shows the pressure switch attached to inner bulkhead and with tubing added - You need to block off one of the tube outlets on the original switch bellows - simply add a piece of tubing with a screw blocking the hole - Attach the plastic tubing from the pump switch to the second outlet -

Thats it you can now use the wipers and electric screen wash at the same time - I need to tidy up the wiring and working on this now 

Cracking mod for under a tenner washer6.thumb.jpg.4c848dc6fc1ca8c2b89dbd03389d35af.jpg

Paul 

Thinking about it there would be an issue in adding wiring from the hotpoint switch to the the wipers , so with one push you would have a wash wipe function - As an electrical newbie is this practical , if so would a relay be recommended ?

Lastly because my Vitesse has lots of red wires everywhere  including the the electric washers what colour wire should I change to - I was thinking purple 

Paul  

57 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I would add a relay to create electrical isolation and avoid feedbacks - might be overkill and with a good look at the wiring diagrams might be avoidable, but depends how good you are at reading them and thinking about all the possible scenarios.

Hi Mark is "feedback" the same as "sneak current " ?

Paul 

Based on the information I could read (was very small text on my iPhone and wouldn’t zoom :blink:) no it’s different in that sneak currents are caused by bad earths so the electric finds a different path. 

But having said that it is very similar in that you feed something else by the back feed. 

For example. If you were to wire a feed from the washer switch to the wipers so that the wipers start when you wash (desirable) it could also cause the washer to wash when you turn on the wipers (not desirable ). As cars are dc, then it could be solved with a diode so that the feed only goes one way. But I prefer relays as you can see them working. ?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Based on the information I could read (was very small text on my iPhone and wouldn’t zoom :blink:) no it’s different in that sneak currents are caused by bad earths so the electric finds a different path. 

But having said that it is very similar in that you feed something else by the back feed. 

For example. If you were to wire a feed from the washer switch to the wipers so that the wipers start when you wash (desirable) it could also cause the washer to wash when you turn on the wipers (not desirable ). As cars are dc, then it could be solved with a diode so that the feed only goes one way. But I prefer relays as you can see them working. ?

Thanks Mark for the explanation and on reflection I'll not complicate matters and leave the system as it is. What colour wire should the Hotpoint switch feed be ?

Paul 

Paul.

The correct colour code is Light Green with Black Trace - screen jet switch to screen jet motor (aka washer !!)

Green wires are always accessories fused via the ignition switch, so for example A4 on the old style Lucas fuse box. 

I usually get all my wiring needs from ALM Electrical Solutions who stock every colour combination of wire including thin wall - which is the way forward. The company also do an immense number of electrical items. A very good company to deal with, they have quality items at decent prices; the chap who owns it is Kevin and has a superb knowledge and always willing to assist. I have no business interest with the company, just flagging good quality service and parts.

They trade on EBay or you can liaise direct on http://www.almsolutions.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index

Regards.

Richard.