Car Ramps

Clarke44

Happy New Year!!!!

I hope everyone is feeling great after the Christmas break.

2018 is the year when i finally complete my GT6 (hopefully wife permitting)

so i have decided that i need some car ramps. not only to use on the GT but also to use on my Porsche 924s

i have seen the car ramp extensions at machine mart and wondering what peoples views of them are, also do we know what the degrees of the ramp will be with them?

The reason for this is i have found on ebay some ramps that have jacks built in to them which sounds very useful. However i am not sure if i can use them with the GT6 as well as the Porsche

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter-Vehicle-Car-Ramp-Lift-2-Ton-Hydraulic-Jack-Garage-Heavy-Duty-Red-x-2/252585769997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l9372

i have worked out that the ramp is at 19 degrees and wondered if this is OK for the GT6. 

Does anyone have any ideas?  

Not so long ago there was a thread or part of a thread that flagged up the ramp extensions from MM - I cannot recall the outcome, but if you use the Forum keyword search it may locate the comments.

I'm not sure how much lower (if any) a GT6 is compared to a Vitesse. The ramps you have flagged via the link look similar to the height and length I have. The Vitesse climbs these without an issue and there is still enough space (just) at the rear to slide a trolley jack under to position on the diff.

If necessary I can measure the H & L of my ramps which may assist, but I think the first required confirmation is the height of the GT6 compared to the Vitesse; this I cannot help with as my Vitesse is currently up in the air on mobile axle stands.

Looking at the link you have flagged, they now appear to be out of stock.

Regards.

Richard.

i have already viewed that threat doesn't seem to give me the answer just that i need to machine mart extension parts.

out of interest or if its not to much trouble it would be interesting to know what the H&L of yours are.

the link i flagged was just an example i have found others similar price but look even better - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TON-HEAVY-DUTY-HYDRAULIC-CAR-VAN-4X4-VEHICLE-GARAGE-JACK-METAL-RAMP-LIFT-PAIR/291664583894?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D9ed69de674b3479f95133bb754fff647%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D291664583894&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A78a31d29-f151-11e7-b12c-74dbd18046e4%7Cparentrq%3Ac150d25e1600abc642f576fdffe8c6e2%7Ciid%3A1

but don't want to spend £100 and for them not to be able to be used on either car.

Thanks again

Hello Ben,

CJ Autos stuff is decent and certainly well engineered - perhaps even over engineered on occasions but that is okay in my book especially if I am under the car !!

You are correct, not the cheapest but certainly worth bearing in mind and will last for decades. I remember years and years ago when they first started and just did a couple of garage items, more out of interest as a hobby than a business - they have certainly made progress over the years. They are often at shows and give decent discounts including postage terms. I did note in the current Practical Classics they have a sale on but with collection only - ideal if you are in that neck of the woods.

----------------

For what it is worth my ramp dimensions are as follows:

L=990cm / H=260cm / W=185 (actual drive on surface) and overall width 195cm.

The length of the ramp is in 2x parts - the gradient is 600cm and levels out at the 260cm height with the level section (tyre rest point) being 340cm.

My ramps are not the ladder type but rippled surface, originally meant for land Rovers, so I'm happy about the construction and strength.

Regards.

Richard.

I managed to pick up a pair of the heavy-duty CJ autos ramps recently.... you certainly couldn’t call them flimsy!

included in my haul were a pair of lead-on ramps to shallow the angle even more if clearance is a big issue.

When in the lower position they don’t need so much room to store which, for me, is important as space is limited.

...... Andy 

They look very good - but I would be concerned (perhaps unjustified!) that you are relying on a screw thread to keep the ramp up and off the person under the car - I wouldn't go under a car just on a jack, so why is this different (Apart from a jack can slip sideways which these won't)?  I am also perhaps coloured by the Land Rover Jack supplied with the Land Rover Discovery I had that have been known to collapse - even on first use. I actually only used mine once even though it worked ok when I used it to change a tyre off road. 

21 minutes ago, Clarke44 said:

The CJ autos look really good and no doubts will do the job but at £270 i cant really afford to spend that much hence the £100 ramps.

maybe i should just wait and buy them.

The secondhand CJ Autos ramps do appear occasionally on Ebay though they still make good money IIRC last ones were £140 ish 

Paul 

I didn’t fancy paying the full price either - mine were second-hand, a whisker over PaulH’s guidance above.  CJ Autos do have show-deals at Stoneleigh, certainly worth exploring.

there are also some newer ramps now available made out of a light composite material - not sure on costs/durability, but you no longer need to be Geoff Capes to move them around - could be another option

The composite ones I was thinking of are Race Ramps, a few options available, both one-piece and 2-piece to create a shallow incline. Note, overall light is less than that privided by the likes of the ramps mentioned earlier.

Suppliers mainly in the US, but amazon/eBay could be other options

Here's a set of ramps

5a4f9b37662a8_2017-03-1210_04_17.thumb.jpg.955f711447a953908391fcb1758a11bf.jpg

I picked up from Ebay for £45.00 - very heavy and the ramps come off to aid accessibility,  I plan to have wooden blocks to to "chock" the raising platform, just to be extra safe . There is a giant wingnut which raises the platform 

Paul 

Paul.

You may want to bolt a diagonal bracing flat bar on each side, in opposite directions, of the respective platforms to give it more rigidity; at the moment it is just box shape which can lead to an unwanted parallelogram effect.

It would be a thirty minute job and as you will be under them well worth considering, unless you are 100% happy with the structure.

Regards.

Richard.