Sun visor / rear view mirror

PeterH

On my Mk 3 Spitfire the driver's sun visor conflicts with rear view mirror. That is when I flip the visor down, I have to move the mirror out of the way.

Is this normal?

I believe sun visors were an optional extra on the Mk3.

They could be too close centrally, and need moving out on the brackets? And is the mirror correct? It looks a little wide to me? (but it has been some years since I last had a mk3)

As an afterthought, they are the correct sunvisors?? I know they got difficult to source (good ones still are I expect) and people do improvise.

I bought the car in 2000 (its taken this long to get back on the road). The visors and mirror are as it was.

The car came with a works hardtop and no hood, frame or fittings.

Wether or not it was always like that I don't know. I think I've seen somewhere that it could be supplied as a hardtop. I ought to get the Heritage Certificate - it might tell me.

Colin, are you sure about that? well, the not fitted etc?

I thought they came fitted, and they are teh same (I believe) as the TR cars as they share the same windscreen frame?

The herald thing did occur to me, but I dismissed it as an age thing. The mirror on my mk3 was small, and just a bit of mirror glass with plastic edge trim. Held by a claw type arrangement. I remember that, I broke mine..

Definatly not standard, my car has none, and no sign any were ever fitted. There are square holes behind the plastic you can just feel if you push hard enough. Ready to accept the push in self-tapper recepticle.

None fitted to the 3 Mk3 I have broken either.

TR6 ones are more upmarket than Mk4 spitfire ones, and attach in a different place, nor am I convinced the Spitfire screen frame has the mounting holes in the correct place for TR6 visors.

And I am revising my thoughts on origin, I think they might be Herald Convertible or GT6, and mounted incorrectly.

They could be screwed onto the vertical face so pulling them further away from the mirror.